Agnostic.com

14 3

Should public schools allow teachers...?

Should public schools allow teachers to wear religious clothing/jewelry? Think about it, they’re ecouraging a religious belief, how about saying “God bless you.” Or “Ill pray for you to a student”?

• 20 votes
  • 24 votes
  • 20 votes
Swordsmith 5 May 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My 10 yr old granddaughter is very precocious. she refuses to believe in God or go to church. some of her public school friends are trying to persuade her into their various faiths. this pissed her off. they even wrote these things in her 4th gr yr book. it is ridiculous

After having read comments and replies, and given this more thought, I put forward this argument.

The government is prohibited from establishment of religion. Public schools are part of the government. Teachers are therefore agents of the government. As such, they shouldn't be allowed to do anything that can be construed as establishing or even favoring one religion over another or all religions. Teachers are on the government side of the First Amendment to the US Constitution, and therefore fall under its prohibitions.

@KKGator @icolan @Marcie1974 @Shelton @Gwendolyn2018 @Marine @Garth-Vader @CallMeDave

You are 100% correct. They conveniently "forget" that they work for the taxpayers. That makes them government employees, and subject to keeping their religious beliefs out of their jobs.

How do you then prevent the children from showing their religioud preferances.Metals hanging all over, crossing themselves before a test wearing ashes at Easter?

@Marine That's actually a different issue than the establishment clause as it applies to teachers. I'll have to give that more thought, as it seems stickier.

@bingst Years ago I got into it with the administration of my daughter's middle school. They were allowing students to wear cross pendants but were banning pentagrams. I took in documents pointing out that the IRS and the branches of the military recognize Wicca as a legitimate religion and that allowing only Christian symbols was blatantly illegal. Their claim was that pentagrams were 'gang signs'. When the principal was presented with my documentation they backed off really fast.I knew i wouldn't win if I argued all should be banned. So I took what I could get.

@Swordsmith ok

There is just no place for religions in schools any more - and who's god story should be taught ??

It would need to be dealt with on an individual basis.

It DOES get dealt with on an individual basis. The Freedom From Religion Foundation takes these violators to court on a regular basis, and they usually win.
Public schools are no place for any mention of gods or religion, unless it's a specific class on ALL religions and the mythology of ALL gods.

@Gwendolyn2018; @KKGator What is considered to be religious clothing or jewelry and who is to call an item religious? As an example, a college ring from a school that has a religious icon on it considered religious and how would that encourage religious belief?

@buzz13 Easy, ANY depiction of anything that could be construed as representing any religion. Leave the religious jewelry at home. It's not that hard.

@Gwendolyn2018 My answer, 'Ms Gotcha', (you need to learn the English written language better) was to the question, "should public schools allow teachers to wear religious clothing/jewelery?". My answer was to the that question , not the oral utterances. I suggest you ask the original poster why two questions were asked but not any split answers in his poll.

@KKGator Right there you have violated someones right to wear clothing of their choice. So a teacher wearing a Ha-bib is not allowed to teach school? What about a Nehru jacket , common wear in India as it looks like a priest's collar? That thinking, you espouse, just clogs up our courts with frivolous hearings when that should be dealt with on an individual basis. That was my answer to the original poster's over choices, " somewhere in the middle".

@buzz13 I'm over it all. Give 'em an inch, and they'll take a mile.

@Gwendolyn2018 I highly doubt you teach composition , your lack comprehension of what people are trying to convey in the printed word. You read into what you wanted to read and proceeded from there. Atheists like you are just as bad as the the religious zealots you claim to detest. You and your ilk is true agnostics/atheists get a bad rap from society in general.

Teachers have authority. Students do not. It's a huge difference.
Some evangelicals believe their obligation is to spread the word. They will push the limit with posters and biblical quotes. Imagne public classroom walls full of Jesus shit. They'll do it if you let them. ( I live in the Bible belt and have worked as a substitute. I've met these people.)

Yes. There is no problem in wearing something that signifies your own beliefs. It's when you push/promote those beliefs on others that it becomes an issue.

Doesn't the position in and of itself tend to push/promote the belief symbolized by what's being worn by the teacher, as an authority and/or role model?

@bingst what kind of jewelry are you thinking? I'm thinking a cross necklace or maybe little angel earrings. To reach the level of pushing/promoting, seems it would have to be like a Flava-Flav sized pendant reading "Only Jesus Saves" or "Repent Now" or something.

@Funnygir175 Why would the size matter? Symbols carry meaning, without the need for words. What would we say if a teacher decided to wear Nazi swastika and SS pins? Right, these are not religious symbols, but their symbolism is known, without words.

@bingst Since they're not religious symbols, they're not relevant to the conversation. Anything, and everything, can be a symbol to someone. Becoming so sensitive that any indication at all of someone else's beliefs is disallowed seems rather extreme.

@obviouspseudonym The relevance was about meaning in symbols. As for the rest, so my comment on this thread. Teachers are part of the government.

Absolutely. I have no interest in children turning into adults that have only been shown a protected little fucking bubble for their world. They get into the real one and act like it the entirety of it should be a reflection of the bullshit they grew up in.

There's a significant difference between trying to indoctrinate a child, and showing a child what life this person has chosen or lived.

I believe that the learning environment should be secular but I am relaxed about individuals (Teachers and Students) practicing their religion as far as it does not interfere unreasonably to other students' experience.

Yes. How else is somebody going to mock the religion of another person by comically wearing their religious garb? Think in the realm of possibilities.

Phrases like "god bless you" and "I'll pray for you" are NOT harmful language, although they may cause irritation to people with a normative sense of irreligion.

I have no problem with a teacher wearing a Star of David or cross necklace. Just don’t verbally preach to my kid or have religious posters or signs

Freedom of speech

It is none of my business what they wear I just have to ignore it.But prayer before the cabinet meets with required attendance should be banned even if it is led by the VP

They should keep their religious beliefs to themselves. Completely.
They can practice their delusions in their own homes and places of worship.
There is no room for that bullshit in public schools.
There is no middle-ground.

What about students?

@Marcie1974 Their religious beliefs have no business in public schools either. They also have homes and churches in which to exercise their delusions. I know courts have ruled that they're allowed to have religious prayer, as long as it's not lead by adults, but that gets abused all the time.
Coaches lead prayers in locker rooms and on football fields, etc. It's all ridiculous and should be stopped completely. Prayers are offered at graduation ceremonies.
No religious displays in public schools period.

Bullet Proof vests for them and the students.(better protection)

Coldo Level 8 May 22, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:87710
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.