Agnostic.com

7 0

Love and belief

Do you find it harder to build and maintain relationships with Christians, or do you completely avoid dating Christians?

mtbDAD 2 May 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't avoid it, but I dread the question, "Do you believe in God?" That is usually the moment the relationship begins to unravel.

Example, the last relationship I was in, we connected on so many levels. Both of us loved the mountains, loved hiking, climbing, mountain biking, camping. One night sitting around a campfire, the dreaded question was asked. That was moment the tone of the relationship began to change. A month later, we were no more.

Perhaps avoiding is best. Saves you from heartbreak.

Hard pass on Christian men. They're not just part of the larger US culture, which is sexist on a systemic level, but they're also part of a subculture (Christianity) which specifically teaches male authority/lack of female autonomy, male entitlement/lack of consent, rigid gender roles, etc. They aren't even subtle about it, like secular culture often is. Why would I want to be in an intimate relationship with someone who's spent years to decades steeping in these beliefs? Even nonreligious men have a hard enough time acknowledging my autonomy and treating me as a real person rather than a gender stereotype.

And that's not even getting into whether I could respect someone who holds beliefs for which they have no evidence. I have friends who do, and the reason we are able to be friends is because they acknowledge they have no evidence for their beliefs, and they do not try to convert me to their unsupported beliefs or use those beliefs to infringe on any one else's right to live their own life. But I suspect that living day in and day out in a long-term relationship with someone who believes in stuff without any evidence would eventually drive me nuts.

Depends on you and the Christian that you are dating. It is the same as a Republican cannot marry a Democrat. Which is complete nonsense.

I'd be hardpushed to find one.

I got burned so bad by a Pentecostal girl once that I thought I was cremated - never again.

Well, let's just say that religious beliefs goes into the minus column when considering perspective dates.

I would not consider dating a believer of any religion or anything else supernatural.

I've done it -- more than once -- and my ex (a believer) and I are still friends, but I wouldn't go down that road again.

For me, I found it too difficult to truly be myself and express my thoughts about the world around me while censoring my words around religion (and politics).

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:87748
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.