Agnostic.com

11 4

America Science Illiterate :(

I taught science 30 yrs. I find most are sadly ignorant of basic science. Earth tilt, change of seasons, global warming, climate change, causes of diseases, ecology, basic anatomy, metric system, basic physics ... and most are clueless.

Gary4234 5 Dec 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Even if people accepted global warming there is nothing we can do about it. [frankiebenka.com]

I found this very interesting
THE BEST CLIMATE CHANGE TAKEDOWN EVER!

dc65 Level 7 Mar 24, 2018

I tried teaching high school mathematics for 4 years and could no longer continue doing it. It also boggles my mind that many of my work colleagues, who have college degrees, don't comprehend, understand and/or give applications of it.

And not only about science. I taught Spanish (26+ years) and the lack of knowledge about those disciplines (geography, history, logic...) closely knitted to literature is also huge.

Chemistry starts in the kitchen. Applied physics when you get in and drive the car (frictions, potential and kinetic energies), botany in the garden, Climate change has been happening for millions of years no real argument to be had there. If needs be place blame for global warming the dinosaurs spewed methane for millions of years. I teach my 6 year twins all of this along with many more sciences. I might be a little unusual though.

"If needs be place blame for global warming the dinosaurs spewed methane for millions of years."

Please tell me that you're not letting humanity off the hook for the current climate change trends. This is known to the scientific community as anthropogenic (i.e. caused by people burning fossil fuels). The only "controversy" is amongst politicians.

The earth has been getting hot and cold for millions of years. There has even been a few events that has even caused it to have been destroyed. the poles have shifted. the oxygen in the atmosphere was much denser at a given point in the age of the dinosaurs. Asteroids have hit the earth changing the overall mass. The Earth is likely close to 400,000,000 years old it is statistically unlikely that 200 years of humans burning fossil fuel has that much effect on it`s thermal cycles.

@tsjames the ellipsis of the earth orbital path get longed and shorter the changes are normal.

Next question what effect do the cattle bring into the equation and is the amount of cattle any different than the amount of wildlife 200 years ago been equated in?

@JimBen Just think that it is a political agenda from both major parties. There is other explanation cited Milankovitch cycles cattle population the sun's orbit we orbit the sun in turn has its own orbit 200 years ago oil was just discovered so if it started 200 years ago had to be other factors. Just think politician will cram anything down the throat of the population for a vote.

@tsjames If people would state that the fertilizer that drains into the ocean that is killing the plant life that helps clean the air it would be a tad more believable.

@azzow2 excellent question

I definitely agree. It’s a sad indication that people are not inquisitive about the world around them

I would say the system doesn't allow for "curiosity". The system is designed to educate as little as possible since is a lot easier to manipulate those who barely know how to read / write.

I love science.

That really is basic! I'd expect a 10 year old to be able to grasp all of those.

[314action.org]

I wish every candidate for major office had to pass a basic science test.

I've read a number of articles on the internet concerning 'the dumbing down of America' and the consensus is it's mainly because of the beliefs (mind set) of christians who subscribe to the fundamental view that the 'Holy Bible' is the 'Word of God' including it's ancient view of the Universe around us. Therefore the view that science has given us about the Universe ect must be false. The problem is , from what I"ve read , these type of Christians are a large minority in the US of A .

Yes, I have taught science for 7 years in high schools..it is depressing to say the least.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:8834
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.