Agnostic.com

28 8

So. This is my first divorce. From a narcissist. From a man who cheated on me. From a man I believed in when no one else did. It came as a surprise. If you had to go through a divorce, how long did it take you to tame some of the emotional spikes that happen? They are getting less frequent and less severe as my self esteem builds. The literature says 6 months to a year till you feel relatively grounded? Does that seem right? When does most of what you feel turns into indifference?

onlyduh 7 May 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments (26 - 28)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That indifference bit may never go away. It can be ignored and forgotten about but sometime something will remind you and it will piss you off all over again but that feeling will go away quickly once you get away from the thing that triggered it.

@onlyduh
Your insistence on things being the way you want them to be may the problem. Good luck.

For me, it took years. I felt so guilty about the dissolution of our marriage. I still do on some levels.

One thing I want to say is don't ever blame the other woman. It was entirely your husband's choice/ fault. He could have said no. I HATE it when women say 'she broke up my marriage, 'she chased/seduced my husband' while the man sits back & sighs 'I couldn't help myself - she came on to me' . It's all him. She did you a favour.

@onlyduh Sorry but still no. He made the choice to betray you. He was the one in a supposedly committed relationship. If it wasn't her, it would have been someone else. You can't blame all the women in the world. He is the constant in this, she is just the variable. If you make it me & them, you increase your pain. Me & him is more straightforward. And he'll probably do the same to her in time. She didn't get anthing of value. I pity her. Reason I'm saying this is because if you look at it this way, it immediately halves the resentment, pain, anger etc so you have less to deal with. I'm on your side.

@onlyduh Not forgiveness. Just indifference. I wish you well. X

@onlyduh - Great! First one left me to become "a full time worker for god", second one addled his brain so much with alcohol he didn't know who I was! Can't wait for the chat room!

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:88581
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.