Agnostic.com

20 2

As an atheist or agnostic, how do you perceive and interact with spiritual people?

So I get that religion is basically a road map for control and forcing a society into a particular kind of behavior (To be clear, I do realize this is a narrow assessment of religion in general). Those that label themselves as spiritual don’t always affiliate themselves with religion for that very reason. However, I feel like — a lot of times — they’re met with the same animosity as those that associate themselves with religion.

What is your take on individual spirituality and does it cause you to have preconceived notions of the individual? If so, do you feel you treat them differently than someone that is “religious”?

Quintproquo 4 Dec 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Where I live, I just stay away from all of them. I have lost a lot of people I thought where friends, even after years of knowing them when I finally tell them I'm an atheist. I know now what theyou really are.

I consider myself a "spiritual" person. It has nothing to do with religion or gods in any way. More a understanding of my own being and the nature of things around me.

Grim Level 4 Dec 19, 2017

I take spirituality as a made up concept. Whoever denies religion but claims spiritually is equally religious for me. If there is no proof, it doesn't exist.

I think spiritual is one of the most over-used words amongst the so-called religious people. It's used as a kind of boast, oh I'm so high in my thinking, I'm so connected to the higher realms...Baloney! Press them and you find the same guff as in all religions: mysticism, supernaturalism, and magic. Carl Sagan, great man that he was, used to say that he could look up at the cosmos and be filled with wonder at its mysteries, a kind of spiritual awe, and he did not mean things and whistle and squark from the 87th Dimension, through "another way of knowing" from the Great Cosmic Consciousness. He meant science! The word spiritual should be wrestled away from religionists and pseudo-religionists, the mystic pizza eaters, as I call them, and returned to its true meaning: an appreciation of the mysteries of things as known through logic, reason and evidence based human thinking. This is what I say to so-called spiritual people.

This and well said

I wouldnt say I'm totally spiritual, but I am more spiritual than atheist.. so I guess I am. It's more likely to me that the soul is real, and life after death can be a wandering spirit trapped on Earth and other junk like that than a god or a collection of goddesses and God's existing. So if anyone has any questions, they can message me.

I'm just gonna add that I don't go around trying to contact spirits, there are way more important things to worry about that and I'm not completely nuts.

I am fine with discussing my views with anyone, until thwy get offended by them. I try to be open minded about things and do wish to hear others reasons for it. Spiritual people tend to be easier to deal with than closed minded religious people

People who identify themselves as spiritual often don't equate themselves with a religion although some might identify with a religion but also perform some sort of exercise to enhance the spiritual aspects of their well-being. Regardless, these are people who will agree that religion is missing something. They are probably more apt to listen to you than preach to you.

SamL Level 7 Dec 19, 2017

In my training as a psychologist we are taught spiritually from the Maori perspective. It focuses not on religion but nuturing the persons inner peace. What makes them feel fulfilled. It could be taking a walk or a cup of tea with a friend, painting, and for some religion. We are taught to respect individuals idea and concept of what is spiritual for them. So in this way we are all spiritual, if it contributes to our wellbeing.

I've only met atheists or religious people. No one I know is spiritual.

Most of the people I know are theists. A few would probably identify as spiritual. I view them as two sides of the same faith-based coin, but I approach everyone as just people. As long as they're being respectful, I see no reason to be antagonistic. A little conversation goes a long way, and a lot of times religion never comes up at all. When it does, civil discourse works for me. A lot of time, religious people have never had a real conversation about belief or unbelief with an atheist. It can be a learning experience, and it can be an opportunity for mutual understanding.

I agree with you

I think of myself as a spiritual person I just don't believe you have to be possessed into being so. As much as I would like to share my knowledge of life and the world, xtians would just put a copyright on everything I've said and teach those I wanted to encourage that yes what I said may be true, but I am the devil and silver tounge this and that just ignore him or we'll ignore you.

I treat them like anyone else - unless they give me some solid reason for doing otherwise.

Like preaching !

As much as I love debating with Christians about gawd, the bible, etc, at the end of the day I treat everyone with the amount of respect that they treat me with. That goes for "spiritual" people as well, cuz I have discovered that a lot of people SAY they believe something, but don't necessarily walk the talk. It's not what they say they believe, it's what they do that defines them.

I refuse to allow a persons belief in a god or a religion effect how I treat them or feel about them .There are plenty of more important characteristics that I gauge a person by. Some of my favorite people have a religion and or believe in a god. The simple thing is to simply avoid the subject . As an example I have no idea about the religious beliefs of a good friend of mine simply because i don’t care.

Nope, I have a lot of friends with varying beliefs and levels of belief. Never has it been a problem. We have an agree to disagree policy. Though most of the time its just discussion that educate us about our differences so we can understand each other better.

I will generally avoid the topic. Spiritual people, no matter their affiliation, always make me laugh when they talk about their beliefs. I honestly can't help it. It's just too ridiculous for me to handle. So I do my best to just not address the topic, because a lot of people have these beliefs and I can't go around finding everyone funny.

Calling yourself a Spiritualist is different than tagging yourself as a Christian (or other). Being 'In Tune" with yourself or seeking some form of enlightenment is completely different than just repeating what you've been taught to repeat. I would be interested in hearing what a spiritualist has to say. What is their journey, what do they seek, what have they discovered, etc. You can always learn something from someone who speaks from experience. I may not agree with what another Spiritualist has to say, but it's gotta be more interesting than someone regurgitating scripture that they don't understand. Keep in mind some "spiritualists" are full of themselves and may be no better than church folk.

Ok for fear of being lambasted here .I of consider myself spiritual (rather than religious).

I agree that that claim is rather gauling for strong athiests....I know, I used to be one. I became intrigued by stuff I was reading about historical Judea and over the yeras I fould myself asking more and more questions and reading more and more.
Eventually I did ended up trying meditation (inspired by Gnosticism)and to my absolute amazement it changed the way Isee things fundamentally.

I'm not special,I am the same person underneath. I don't talk much about t as I do find it a tad embarrasing if I am honest .My wife who isa lapsed Catholic thought I was having a meltdown,but I am still as anti Catholic as i was when i was an atheist.

It is hard for me to bring the subject up. However if the situation calls for it I will discuss it or try to give comfort to those in pain or suffering,it can be a help to some. My brother is fiercely athiest,as I was,so we do have some intense debate about it.

He says I have changed,he says for the better,he says I am caImer.I do see him as angry sometimes about spirituality and very scathing. I find alot of atheists are angry about something spiritual...I don't understand the anger to be honest. But I realise from reading the posts on here that alot of that anger is directed at religious zealotry.Which is fair enough.
I have been on many religious sites and argued with them myself because what they believe is not the truth.The Bible has a deep history and if you take the time to look you can see that it is not be takn literally,there are many reasons why it was written.I foud its history fascintaing story at first but it has led me to to another place...is the best way I can describe it.I certainly did not set out to do that,or maybe I did.

As to Islam,its not worth the bother of debating it the dogma is way too fierce to even have the debate.

yeah, this is a good one....'"I'm, like, not religious, but I am really, like, totally spiritual." Exactly how it was put to me the last time I heard it. What does that even mean? If it means you believe in god, but not organized religion, that I get (and I already find myself not liking my need to 'get' someone elses belief), but if you are just saying it to sound deep, ugh.

Also, would/do you even acknowledge a difference between spirituality and religion?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:9037
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.