Agnostic.com

19 3

Do any of my fellow agnostics and atheist have children who believe in god?

I believed in god all my life. From 1997 to 2002 I served god as a Pentecostal for 5 years strong. It took about 12 years after leaving the church to realize there was no god. About 6 months later I found out my oldest daughter (23) also did not believe in god and was atheist. About a year ago I found out my youngest (18) too does not believe in god. This has been such relief on my heart for I really despise believers of a creator and god. My brothers and sisters all believe in god and my daughters mother also believe in god. So I can deal with family members...but I know it would hurt me if my daughters believed in him. I just wonder if there are people out there that actually do have to deal with this.

jjcruz23 3 Oct 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My first born sings in a church chorus. she had managed industrial metal bands, is very involved in blues right now and is her life to do as she feels comfortable. Mid 30's no marriages or children and a good day job as a property manager. She is money driven. And nobody can say the phrase "I need more money" like she can. I believe she was practicing since age 6 in front of a mirror. I don't discuss religion with her. She must find her own path. I am okay with that. My 2 other I think they are like me... seems everything on my 3 kids is 2 out of 3. 2 out of 3 have property, 2 out of 3 have good credit record, 2 out of 3 are girls, 2 out of 3 have great jobs, 2 out of 3 have no money problems, 2 out of 3 listened the good advice... 2 out of 3 blame me for the divorce... 2 out of 3 has tattoos... 2 out of 3 think always need more money.... 2 out of 3 were born in the states... but I love all 3. he, he, ha, he, ha.

no, and I'm really pleased about that

My daughter is a devout Christian. Yes it is hard, but I love her very much. I don't try to change her mind. I just try to be a good father.

No, four children, all adults.

My daughter has been sent to Sunday school and goes to church. She says she believes, but I don't think she has the knowledge of what it is she supposedly believes in. At her age I believed too. Critical thinking is an acquired skill and I'm exposing her gradually to the facts about religion, so she can make her own informed choice, not what she's been indoctrinated to believe.

Ironically, it's easier now that I'm divorced and don't have to try to keep peace between myself and a churchgoing wife.

Exact same place. I am familiar with how comforting the whole paradigm is though and that is where my daughter is (14 yo). So I focus on critical thinking and skepticism

I was a true believer for the first 39 years of my life and my son from that time is a strong believer. He believes in shunning and lives about a mile from me but we haven’t spoken in many years. He has two boys who I don’t know and probably wouldn’t recognize if I passed them on the street. I remarried and my present wife is Catholic and she wanted our daughter to go to CCD so our daughter did for a few years. She got tired of that and her mother let her quit when she asked too. Later our daughter asked me something about the Bible and I gave her one and told her to read it for herself. She started at Gen. 1:1 and got to Lot’s having sex with his own daughters. It wasn't long before she identified as an atheist and she still does.

gearl Level 8 Oct 28, 2017

My daughter went through a phase of believing. But she came home one day and told me how none of it really made sense, and now she is firmly agnostic. I suspect that as the child of a hard core atheist, this was her way of "rebelling".

Six children here , lost one to gawd. not a bad average .

While raising my sons as a single mother, I never did what others insisted I should do and "force" them to go to church. They believed it was the right thing to do to give them the opportunity to know God. Nope. Instead, I didn't indoctrinate them into anything. There was never a conversation to be had in our home about religion. Instead, they got a dose of it from their father at his Evangelical church. that did the trick for both my sons. They were convinced that it's nothing but crap.

daughter in law but she may come over to the dark side yet !

When the kids were little, they were exposed to religious friends and sometimes talked about what god does. When they are young, they believe one day and the other day not.I framed it in the fantasy that it is and relegated it to fairy tales, which they outgrew. My grand children experience the same, in where a friend insists they go to church with them, which is fine. I equate with with the Disney World of the mind and the practice of mythology. The grown ones are all atheists and I know the little ones will follow. So, the answer is that they may believe in god, but it is only like trying out something to see if it fits - when it doesn't they may move on to another belief and eventually abandon it all when they are ready to let go of childish fantasies.

Interesting. I have a son who believes in angels, UFOs, and paranormal nonsense, but not god. My eldest daughter is a rampaging, slavering Methodist, and my middle daughter believes in god, but she is not religious. My youngest daughter is an atheist. I have little communication with my eldest, though our relationship is not particularly uncomfortable. I'm cool with my middle daughter because she tends to keep her belief to herself and has not pushed it upon her children. My youngest and I get along great and have wonderful conversations. My son, on the other hand, drives me nuts with conspiracy theories, ancient alien contact, and other mumbo jumbo.

My family is all over the map. I self-identify as an agnostic although there are times I am more atheist.
My grown daughter believes in some type of Higher Power but she doesn't attend church nor does her husband and they are neutral on the subject with their young kids.
My mother was raised Catholic but fell away from it years ago, although I think she's still a believer.
My sister is more of a believer now than she was as a child.
My brother is a believer.

As a family, we don't all get together often, maybe once or twice a year, but it's a non-issue. We take a 'live and let live' attitude about it.

I have four children from my first marriage who all believe in god (with the probable exception of my son who is autistic, and is unable to express an opinion on the subject). Their mother did her best to alienate these children from me and I have a strained relationship with them even though I do see them regularly. So I don't talk to them about the fact that I left the faith five years ago. I also have two daughters from my second marriage who I do talk to about such things. My 11-year-old is definitely a believer in god, but my (smarter) 10-year-old is already a skeptic, for which I am overjoyed.

I have the same situation in being divorced so that my children are being raised Christian but I am a sworn atheist. They are still young at 11 and 9 plus my daughter has told me she is an atheist, but my son has been heavily indoctrinated, not helped by his being named Christian! (I was a true believer at the time!). Anyway, he's a super smart boy and I think smart enough to toe-the-line with his mother regarding religion but to know it is all a crock of crap. We'll see.

I did not raise them to believe in god, but they do. They never go to church and they "sin" often.

Yes. But thank goodness mine is also open minded enough to allow herself to be curious and ask questions. She identifies as Christian, and I think that is mostly because most of her life she was taught that and quite a bit of guilt goes with not believing. (I adopted her at 8, she's 13 now). Religion is (in my opinion) not a belief one comes to on their own, it is taught to them from a very young age by those raising them. That's the funny thing about religion - it is often not what people truly believe, but something taught. Much like Santa or the Easter Bunny or Tooth Fairy - we're taught to believe these things as youngsters and at a certain age we are taught they don't exist - but never with that imaginary man in the sky. Why is that?

Yup. One that's pretty hardcore because of her mom. And one that...kind of believes, but only enough for it to be cute.

Yes, I have a daughter who believes. She writes love songs for him. I went to church and gave away some of her CD's. They never played them, probably thought they were satanic verses in reverse, like the band 'KISS' used to do . My only question is, how do you play a CD backwards??

My niece was raised as an atheist. She played make believe as a child, but she knew it was make believe. She knew that Santa and Jesus were stories. At 21 she is an atheist. While it may not be the only factor, a child is more likely to be a lifelong atheist if they are raised like my niece and not with "I'll let them decide" mentality. I am an atheist, an anti-theist, and I believe it is harmful and evil. There is no way that I would let a child believe that this garbage is possible.

Been through it. Sometimes it is hard to once they have grown. My eldest went off the deep end when she was about 35. Not much I could do about that.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:904
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.