Agnostic.com

15 4

Extraterrestrialism. Is that a thing?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

How is it that everybody is getting the distance to the nearest star so mucked up?
Alpha Centari a trianary system is 4.2 LYs from here. There may be a brown dwarf even closer.

Maybe

Given the near-infinite number of stars and planets, it is not possible to believe we are the only life form (the intelligent life form designation is still up for debate) but given the distances, not finding them is hardly surprising. Even our closest star neighbor is 7 light years away. And contact assumes they share the same technology and interest in talking to us.

It seems to me that it's incredibly arrogant to think we're the only life in the universe.
It also makes far more sense than the idea of "gods".

It is possible that another reason we appear to be alone is that we are alone, or nearly so -- not because we are somehow unique, but precisely because we aren't. Because there may be certain "hard stops" in evolution that tend to make sentient species go extinct. For example, the discovery of technology before possessing the wisdom to not use it for mutually assured destruction, or destruction of the biosphere. Or the ability to self-direct evolution without ending up in some kind of dead end or unintended consequences.

So there may have been millions of sentient species that evolved, but very few that get past those evolutionary choke-points. Combine that with the vast distances involved, and the relatively short periods of time where such societies would be leaking radio waves that would give them away ... and it'd explain a lot.

The whole problem revolves around the speed of light. Life or even intelligent life existing elsewhere seems to be a mathematical certainty. The "kicker" is that even speed of light radio waves would take so long to get here that any civilization sending such would have likely died-out before the signals got here. Any you can forget actual travel to another habital planet...you would have to exceed the speed of light to be able to get there and scientists have held that matter ceases to exist as we know it as we approach the speed of light. The closest star system is 10 light years from us...or, 88,000 years worth of todays fastest rockets.

Yes, it is a thing. Yes, aliens have contacted Earth, and yes they may presently be here.

That is not supported by rational thought or current science...they would have to be able to travel faster than the speed of light...something most scientists say is impossible given that "matter ceases to exist as we know it at the speed of light." Whistful thinking and sci-fi are not reality.

@dahermit Provide a basis for your reasoning.

@DZhukovin You made the contention that they have "contacted earth" and "they may presently be here." Provide a basis for YOUR contention.

Still slightly more believable than deities doing a seven day cosmic gardening binge.

And there's never been the claim that aliens created the platypus duck bill, because WTF is it about?

Agreed. To claim that we are alone in the observable universe is arrogance. If there are other lige forms they must at least have the ability to detect us. We have been sending radio into space for about 100 years now. Any detection would as we were 100 years ago and not present like how we observe the universe as past depending upon the distance of the observed object. Possibly they would listen in if they could understand what they were listing to and decided it wasn’t worth their time. ?

A few years ago an astronomer calculated that our radio signals would be detectable at no greater than 2 LYs. He based this on how far away would the spread of the beam bring the signal strength below background radiation level, 1.96 LYs.
When I first read about it the article did not say how he reached that conclusion. Being a radar tech I used staying in center of Xmitted beam to confirm answer. the listener would exceed the speed of light at 1.94 LYs.

@pye-rate here is what I found the the subject
[planetary.org]

The universe is mind bogglingly huge, very possibly infinite. How could intelligent life not exist out there somewhere? Just not here; apart from humanity and even that’s debatable sometimes 😉

With the "average" I.Q. (100 pts.) being the most realistic measure of our intelligence, not the Marylyn Vos Savants of humankind, what makes you think intelligent life exists here? Have you not observed what we currently have for president?

@dahermit He’s your president, not mine. You keep him to yourselves.

There could very well be other life in other parts of this universe, and probably is, but until some evidence, facts and data are produced to support it, it is just speculation.

"Mathematical" speculation.

Any thing that can have "ism" added to its ass is a real thing.

I don't know if it is real, but l do know it looks really hard to spell!

It's a pretty big thing and extremely diluted with a plethora of madness.

It's not a thing I can say easily.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:90569
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.