Agnostic.com

7 8

LINK Association of Religiosity With Sexual Minority Suicide Ideation and Attempt

Religious institutions are not adequately equipped to address the psychological plight of the LGBTQ community. Abrahamic religions are inherently homophobic and for LGBTQ individuals who are religious, these belief systems incur the highest ideations for suicide. This is definitely food for thought.

Sapio_Ink 7 May 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Religiosity belongs in the DSM!

Lilie Level 6 May 26, 2018

I would argue that religious institutions aren't that interested in anyones psychological health, just promoting their own agendas.

Sexist and homophobic. People use Abrahamic religions to promote and justify all sorts of hate and atrocities. As a female who was brought up as southern baptist, I certainly was made to feel inferior to men which is a dangerous thing to teach men and women for so many obvious reasons. I would go as far as to say that domestic violence against women would not be as widespread without this influence. I definitely would agree that it is responsible for suicides among the LBGTQ community. I read somewhere once that the one verse that even mentions homosexuality was misinterpreted (probably on purpose) and actually meant to be against pedophilia but was written as men instead of boys. Seeing how rampant pedophilia is it would make sense that they would want it changed, but who knows how true that is. All I know is that the most immoral people I have ever met are self proclaimed christians.

I wish the religious would listen

The American Journal of preventive medicine has it right. It's something we all suspected . The abrahamic religions have always been a driving force to keep humans on the path of repressive thought and action.

Religion is forcing people to suicide.

Good post!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:90855
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.