Agnostic.com

13 4

Pope Francis

Did anyone else see post on FB. It was Pope Francis apparently told young boy his atheist father(that had died)was going to heaven?

annedoneal 6 May 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As I've thought more about this I wonder if the pope was not greeting individuals of a procession which was being videoed in its entirety, and his response to the boy was sincere. But then others took that one clip and posted it with a political motive.

"but perhaps you weren't a victim of a Catholic upbringing." Or perhaps I was? It is not wise to make assumptions based on zero evidence. There are many people who have suffered from a Catholic upbringing who still continue as Roman Catholics, and many who did not suffer from it, like my late wife for example, who find fulfillment in the Church. There will be thousands in Ireland who, despite its awful record historically and currently, will remain Catholics, having voted not to accept its teaching and guidance regarding abortion.

Every institution is a mixture of good and bad, to varying degrees. Only admitting the bad (no matter how bad) is no way to influence their members towards re-evaluating their long held beliefs and loyalties.

The nastiness of some posts here just plays into the hands of those who (want to) misrepresent us. There is a distinct pattern in Pope Francis' sayings which we should welcome, accentuating the positive, eliminating the negative, while maintaining a healthy scepticism. Any hint of the Church moving away from its dark past, however modestly, should be encouraged. Generosity of thought is a good thing.

@RobLawrence Well said.

Nasty? We're nasty? Tell that to a little boy who's just been raped by a cathoilic priest and can't sit down! The pope protects them and is complicit in their crimes. How dare you call us nasty! The pope's PR department is the best in the world, and he's obviously fooled you - if he had any heart at all he would have died of horror at the things the catholic church has done for thousands of year to poor, gullible people. The catholic church is not changing, it's just getting better at fooling people. Shame on you.

Pope made a comment just recently to a gay guy that God "made him that way" and loves him. The guy felt better, but the logic is off, as usual. So, God intervenes to make some people a certain orientation! Well, why didn't God tell his precious church instead of millennia of moral condemnation and persecution? How come it's still a sin, Pope baby, because officially it still is, doorstop interview and cuddly photo-Op sessions of the pope aside. Like all politicians, work the room, get a photo, look for the headline, pretend to placate different parts of the catholic constituency, and hope no one looks to see what's really going on. But don't the mainstream media love this stuff; another Pope Frank headline that means nothing, and another grateful weepy progressive Catholic on the telly.

Oooh! I like you!

I have seen many reported quotations from Pope Francis referring to things he has said in private as well as in public, the most recent that he reassured a gay man that god loves him, another than evolution is not just possible but a fact (as we know). I suspect he represents the best qualities of Christianity (which like most 'things' is a mixture of good and bad.)

But he heads an organisation that covers up child rape, and is complicit in that. There's absolutely NO good in that, no matter how "nice" he seems. .And funny that all those "private" conversations are made totally public within a few hours. The catholic church has a fantastic PR operation, and manipulates millions of people. Even people on this site fall for it.

Concidering the perspective of the Pope that’s better than telling the kid his dads going to hell... it’s not like we would expect him to denounce religion. What the kid needs is an adult in his life with a grasp on reality.

The perspective of the pope? His church teaches that atheists go to hell. So the pope lies. And there you have it.

@GoldenDoll religion is already a lie si what has he got to loose?

@ArdentAtheist Nothing. But he has a lot to gain.

The Pope is a religious politician and everything he says "on the run" should be treated with great skepticism. Nothing he says off the cuff about atheists, gay people, or anything else means a scrap. Only official Catholic policy and practice counts. And that never changes from its reactionary, moralistic, judgemental stance.

It was vile opportunism. The poor child.

I think I saw it--but I think what I saw was on the news. In what I saw the pope asked the boy something like, "Did your father love you?" Then when the boy answered affirmatively the pope responded with something like, "God loves fathers who love their family. Do you think God would send someone he loves to hell?" He left it to the boy to draw the conclusion.
I thought it was about as kind a response as a pope could possibly give.

@annedoneal It may well have been. The others commenters agree. But when I saw it I was touched by the pope's apparent kindness, but hey--I've been taken in before!

It's all a big scam - just the way the catholic church has always operated. Let's not be gullible.

This pope is dangerous.

I'll be polite : fuck him.

I did a post on this. It was a total photo opportunity. The poor boy was planted and abused to benefit the Catholic cause. Child abuse. I had comments saying, Oh the pope was just showing compassion, he was kind - fuck that. No kindness or compassion for the little boys raped by his catholic priests. Disgusting hypocrite.

Yeah I saw that bollox I bet the dad would have been well pissed if he was still alive

@annedoneal but people are still gullible enough to believe it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:91101
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.