Agnostic.com

6 3

LINK HHS Official Says Agency Lost Track of Nearly 1,500 Unaccompanied Minors | Trafficked in America | FRONTLINE | PBS | Official Site

Between October and December 2017, he said, the agency was unable to locate almost 1,500 out of the 7,635 minors that it attempted to reach — or about 19 percent. Over two dozen had run away, according to Wagner, who said the agency did not have the capacity to track them down.

Sponsors are meant to ensure that minors show up at their immigration hearings. Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.) pressed Wagner on why more than half of unaccompanied minors in 2017 did not show up to their immigration hearings. When asked how HHS tracks the missing children, Wagner said that finding out whether children have attended their immigration hearing is not part of its protocol.

Lukian 8 May 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's just inexcusable

MAGA

This agency has failed - perhaps enabling prostitution and slavery. It needs replacing.

imagine the surprise and emotional pain to have your children taken from you at the border. Being detained, go into interrogation, treated like a criminal for weeks then find out the government lost your kids in the system maybe to child trafficking yet you have no resources nor recourse to sue the department because you are not a citizen.

@Lukian

I agree. It's unthinkable. It also makes me question this organisation's moral compass.

@Lukian You are seriously confused and uninformed. Unaccompanied minors show up here as the result of being abandoned or dumped here by their parents. LEARN something before you start making claims.

@SkotlandSkye The prosecution tactic is expected to compound an existing problem: Federal officials are losing track of migrant children in the U.S. foster care system, The Associated Press reported last month. While parents are jailed, children are turned over to the Office of Refugee Resettlement, part of the Department of Health and Human Services. The children are then designated as "unaccompanied minors," AP reported, and the government tries to connect them to family members who are already in the United States.

@Ellatynemouth hey where did the the other guy go? his posts are gone!

@Lukian

I think sometimes people block people. I'm sure I've been blocked by people. And I've blocked a few people myself.

I read about that. It was part of an article about lots more judges being needed to deal with immigration hearings.

Saw that...outrageous. Some think that there may be prostitution/slavery involved.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:91602
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.