Agnostic.com

26 0

Dating outside your (non)faith?

Would you ever consider dating someone who was not of your same religious belief? Whether that belief be atheistic, agnostic, secular, non-religious, etc.

• 31 votes
  • 12 votes
  • 12 votes
Nicsnort 6 Oct 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I voted no, but had to rethink. I would gladly date someone who is Wiccan, Pagan, or anything along those lines. Nature religions are super interesting to me and don’t focus on hating gays or shoving a fairytale down kids’ throats.

I'm open to dating most anybody. I've found that many people claim to be attached to an ideology, religion etc, while their actions prove otherwise. But, I've found that my being an atheist and the girls I've dated religious beliefs usually get in the way of a long healthy relationship. While I'm the one who's relaxed about their beliefs, they end up getting hung up on my not partaking of their beliefs. A lot of it has to do with them feeling like their parents will take issue with my non-belief.

I don't feel the need to waste my time on people of faith in a romantic relationship. We can be friends, but it would be an instant red flag.

I chose no on the grounds that athiesm is a fundamental part of who I am and how I conduct my life. Agnostic or spiritual would be acceptable, but hard bound religion and referring to god in any terms would be unacceptable for me.

Dating atheist would be ideal, but dating a Christian, or otherwise religious person wouldn't be out of the question, as long as they weren't fundamentalist, and didn't try to push it on me, or talk about it non stop. I've dating a few Christian girls before, and it worked well enough, for a while. Eventually it became an issue. I can't see a relationship like that ever becoming more than just dating.

The only people I will not date are rabid believers of any faith.

If they are non-religious, there is no problem. If they are religious they have to be pretty amazing. But if religion is a big part of their life, there is no way it will work out between I and them. I can't stand people who pray in public and such. I see it as a waste of time trying to make a romantic relationship work with someone who is religious, unless their religion is not a big part of their life and no way really affects their life or interferes in our relationship. Like going to church. Big waste of time.

As long as they don't make me go to church or anything.

I used to be open to dating religious people as long as they weren't pushy. I've found that it almost always becomes an issue down the line.

As long as they don't try to push their faith on me.

It woudl depend on how much our beliefs conflicted and whether or nto they expected me to change.

I think it depends on how much the other person respects your right to have a different belief or ideas system. If they are fully tolerant then it would be quite OK.

When I was single, I usually raised the "I am Atheist" point fairly early when dating. If the person was religious, I sort of just lost interest. I really have trouble believing anyone who is religious is intelligent. ( I know that is nasty and not true but to me it would be like dating someone who believed Santa was real )

not really a big deal for me tbh

They would have to be understanding about not wanting to be proselytized to. Also, they would have to be understanding of my belief in science. I don't think I could be with someone that was a young earth creationist. It goes against too many of my beliefs, especially if children were involved.

I would, provided they didn't try to convert me, and I wouldn't try to convert them.
In fact my spouse believes more than I do, and I have been to church with him... but its a lenient church.

For me, it depends on if the person is willing to question his long-held beliefs and allow for the possibility that they may not be worth holding on to anymore.

I would like to date another Agnostic or Atheist. But, I was once a Christian. If I really like someone, I would like to hope that the person can be rescued from religion also.

and they are probably hoping that you can be rescued from your sinful atheistic ways, lol

I picked no, just because the more I've learned about the damage religion does, I've become less tolerant of religious BS. I might consider dating someone that has religious beliefs but is not really participating in that religion, but at this point in my life, I would just prefer to be with someone that is agnostic/atheist like me.

In fact I am happily married to a Christian woman for 18 years. I am an Atheist although I was Christian when we got married. We put our similarities and happiness first and do not focus on our differences.

That's a question I have yet to answer really. I think it's something I just have to consider on an individual basis. I am an open and outspoken atheist. I just don't see how I could have a relationship with someone that feels strongly in a theology. However, I think I could possibly handle a relationship with someone who is on the fence or "Spiritual not religious", but even those I am not sure will last. If they start talking about chakras I will probably run the other way!

At my level it would not be a happy relationship. I would date someone who was on the fence and willing to look at other options including atheism.

Conflict is natural, but understanding takes practice. We're an aggressively driven species so so conflict can be easily the outcome especially from external opposition. But if you except that person then you'll be fine, focus more on loving each others humanly factors rather than it's unproven distributed doctrines

Interesting thought. Being ex-religious myself, I could not date a religious woman unless my lust for her got the better of me. Being an ex-smoker myself, I could never, ever, see myself wanting to date a currently smoking woman. I am clearly less tolerant of smoking than God.

Since it's difficult to find anyone who believes (or disbelieves) the way I do in this neighborhood, it seems more practical to answer Yes.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:920
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.