Agnostic.com

3 0

Coming Out - Which Was Harder?

For those who identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, asexual, agender, intersex, queer, or any other identifier outside the cis-hetero-normative...

Was it harder to come out as this? Or as an atheist? What factors influenced your coming out, and how has this been handled by your family, coworkers, and peers?

Falcopex 4 Dec 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Lol coming out as an atheist meant absolutely nothing to me. I mean zilch. I have no recollection of it. I was an atheist, and became vocal about it around age 18, and that was that.

I chose to stay in my armoire for 26 years..it was the most damaging years of my life, for me and others. So self acceptance as Trans amd coming out was much harder than being atheist..which evolved over time.

I came out as pansexual to my parents- it was tedious to explain, but it wasn't too hard. Regret it every day of my life. Never came out as atheist to the parents, though I'm sure they suspect it. I also happen to be ftm transgender; never came out to my parents... and I live with them. 😟 Super scary to think about. In order from least to most hard to come out as, I'd say 1) Gay/Bi 2) Trans and NonBinary 3) Atheist because even though it's hard being any one of these in my location (North Carolina), this state seems to be pretty united over their Bible. And being gay/bi seems far more socially accepted over transgender identities. I can name plenty of progressive LGBT* accepting churches but I can only find maybe two secular groups within 40 minutes from my address.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:9288
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.