Agnostic.com

3 0

Reincarnation

Are the hindus and buddists the only religions that believe in reincarnation? If not what other religions do?

5082gregory 7 May 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm so unlucky that if it turns out there is such a thing as Reincarnation, I would probably come back as me.

Buddhists don't believe in reincarnation, but in rebirth -- the are rather different concepts. Hindus believe you'll physically become some new person, animal, plant or inanimate object (that your soul is "transmigrated" into a new body); Buddhists believe that only your "karma" survives death.

In some versions of reincarnation, you get some freedom of choice about your next life, by choosing, in between "lives", the body / circumstances into which your soul will be "installed". Buddhist rebirth gives you no choice; everything is determined by your "karmic tendencies" and the person receiving those is not "you" in the sense we typically understand the self; it is considered an entirely new being, not a retread of an old one -- albeit, burdened or blessed with past karma.

These distinctions get blurred by different sects in Hinduism and Buddhism, and by certain exceptions. For example, the leader of Tibetan Buddhism, the Dali Lama, is, to my understanding, literally reincarnated, but this is considered a special case.

Many indigenous people believe in it, as well as Asian religions, and sects within Christianity and Islam. It is also mentioned several times in the Bible. Jesus even said John the Baptist was a reincarnation of the prophet Elijah. Hebrews, in the New Testament, also says Jesus appeared in the Old Testament in another reincarnation; the priest Melchizedek.

[en.wikipedia.org]

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:93092
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.