Agnostic.com

31 22

As a 6 year old - I was sexually abused by a priest- it took me more than 40 years to say something because I wasn’t going to until I had an audience that would listen to me - that was a royal commission- I went on to sue “god” aka the Catholics- not before I wrapped the church in crime scene tape and put up posters about abuse and the bishop trying to pretend it didn’t happen- it went all the way to Supreme Court where I was given compensation- but here’s the Clanger- they tried to take it off me when I told the media what evil lying low life’s they were - I didn’t have to pay it back but basically the Catholics hate me ..... and that’s just the way I like it - the media do t because my home town newspaper contacts me for my opinion every time the lying bishop gives an opinion- so I can respond with the actual truth - and this is why I’m I. This group- no god would have allowed what happened to me - if he existed- and there’s a certain satisfaction in “ya picked the wrong kid”- I don’t believe religion has any place in society- not be confused with spirituality- do you guys think there is ?

Gina1959 4 May 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

31 comments (26 - 31)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Good on You! Religion is a pox on humanity and deserves no place in society!

I've written this more than once - just warning people. Your views of "God" are based on what religion has told you "God" is. If there were a "God" religion doesn't know anymore about it than you do. The idea that it's a loving God that answers prayers and performs miracles is all religious BS. I was sexually abused by my foster father - a man that claimed to be Christian. I didn't blame Christianity for his actions as I had already determined at that point that religion was BS and I didn't blame "God" because if I was going to believe (I don't) in a "God" it wasn't going to be defined by religion i.e., there's no reason to be mad at the concept - only religion tells you that we have a loving God - if God were real - it could actually be a cruel prick.

I do understand the contempt - I went down that path myself - why wasn't I worthy of being protected, why did the free "will" of the pedophile matter more than my free will and if "God" knows the future - why was I not shielded from harm that weighed so heavily on my psyche that I caused harm to myself and others as I went through the process of working sh@t out?

It was the realization that if there were a "God" we don't know anything about it that made me focus my attention in another direction - the people that caused me harm. I confronted them in 1993 and then I moved on by focusing on healing myself and being the best father and grandfather that I can be while at the same time accepting the fact that I'm going to fail from time to time and fall below expectations.

I can't begin to imagine the pain and humiliation you've had to endure, and I wish you the very best as you go forward day by day.

My eyes were opened to the hypocrisy and veniality of the Catholic Church during the height of the abuse scandals here in the US, when I learned that, despite the vast wealth of the organization as a whole, each parish is, in effect a limited company that, if sued, is ringfenced. Because victims have to sue the specific parish in which the abuse took place, should its funds have been exhausted in paying out previous legal awards, the assets of the Church itself are protected from having to pay any compensation whatsoever.

@RobLawrence Casts a rather unflattering light on the Church of Rome...

@RobLawrence Understatement seems more effective, and a welcome change from the hyperbolic Trumpisms that seem to fill the media.

Hi Gina, I'm sorry that happened to you. I had similar experiences in the same Parish, a bit further west, when I was an alter boy. I chose not to participate in the recent inquiry as the guy died a few years back and frankly I wasn't keen to relive the experiences. I do regret that somewhat now, as I can see it has shaped my life to a large degree and continues to influence my behaviour.
It's great you're 'sticking it to the man' in Toowoomba, it's such a conservative place, they really need to hear the other side occasionally. I visited USQ a few years back and was appalled at how the religious crowd had pretty much taken over the place, big banners and posters everywhere.
As to religion having no place in the world, I totally agree. I know it provides solace to stupid people and the 3rd world poor, but surely that is vastly outweighed by the downside which is evident everywhere. Sadly I think it will be several more generations until it's influence is manageable.
All the best for the future!

I understand why you wouldn’t want to re traumatise yourself for me I was soooooo angry I just became a person on a mission to expose the evil bastards- I told them in Supreme Court that saying I was the only one was completel bullshit- I was the only one willing to speak up plus victims have suicided - and mine died when I was 9 - that was the first nights sleep I’d had for 3 years as a kid where I didn’t have night terrors- I’ll continue to support victims- I have a kick arse solicitor - at least 20 new clients because of my story- from all over Australia- I’ll never shut up about them

Truly sorry.

This is what was in the media- I used the media because the church hated it

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:93227
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.