Agnostic.com

13 3

LINK Do Vitamin and Mineral Pills Actually Work? No, Say Scientists

Still taking supplements? You might be wasting your money...a study, (and this is just one of several) seems to indicate that most commonly taken supplements, including a multivitamin, calcium supplements, and others don't really provide any benefits. The exception seems to be folic acid and B-vitamins, which might provide some protection against stroke.

BookDeath 8 May 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I believe they are exactly what it says on the tin. (Well plastic bottle or sheet) Supplements the provide small amounts of a vitamin because the average human diet is lacking. They claim to grant benefits but these benefits only happen if you are lacking the vitamin

Depends upon various things.

I have multiple genetic mutations, a mitochondrial dysfunction, and autoimmune disorders. Due to several malabsorption disorders that affect my ability to get nutrients out of food, and the double c677t mutation that makes it difficult for my body to methylate B vitamins or manufacture folate, I'm actually dependent upon supplements for my health. If I don't take mine, I get very weak, very tired, and end up not being able to do much but stay in bed all fuzzy brained.

Whereas, when I take my daily set of supplements, I can work, garden, care for my cats, grocery shop, and cook. I can even clean a bit, which is my plan for today.

Posted for the third time today.... just because it's so appropriate here

Peppermint oil, caraway oil, and fennel can be quite helpful in all sorts of ways. peppermint oil is absolutely helpful for irritable bowel syndrome. kava and melatonin are absolute relaxers. and saw palmetto and krill oil are good for men, period. plus cbd oil is a miracle. just sayin'

Crushed vitamin C WILL take off hair dye.

So that works

Lol

Scientists are also mammals and require certain nutrients to function optimally. Supplements are ostensibly for those who have deficiencies, a common occurrence due to the general poor quality of what the average westerner eats, and stress, which causes an increase in need and toxins, which require nutrients to be processed. . Trouble is, many supplements are poor quality and the best quality supplements need to match an individual's biological preference, like a lock and key. If they don't match you have a square peg in a round hole situation, and side-effects will result just like those induced by allopathic medicines. Any creature in the food chain is programmed by evolution to absorb nutrients most properly from what it was always presented by the food chain niche it occupies. Humans essentially have 50 thousand year old bodies and eat very poorly compared to what is required. In short, deficiencies depend on how well you choose your food. Plugging in supplements requires a very astute alternative health practitioner.

The only reason to take a supplement is if it is prescribed by your physician.

With all due respect, physicians have very little knowledge of supplements and when to take them. Dangerous answer.

@Healthydoc70 If you are a Senior Citizen, one panel they run is Vitamin D OH. Normal levels are betweeon 30-100. If you are low, the doctors prescribe Vitamin-D. With all due respect, you paint with a broad brush.

It's a simplistic statement. Some do, some don't.

@BookDeath

I disagree. I spend a lot of time reading about health and nutrition. B vitamins for example can be very useful. But vitamin E can be obtained from sunflower oil. I would say most supplements are ineffective, but more than a few are.

Should one plan their diet, the majority of minerals, vitamins are all available in foods we choose to eat?

Well, for one example, to get enough B vitamins,from food, you need to eat 12 (!) Slices of whole grain bread a day....

@AnneWimsey Hello Anne. Without knowing your personal situation any comments are just a lay mans 'opinion'. Vitamin Bs are available in other food sources such as pork, chicken, turkey, fish, wgolegrain cereals, eggs, vegetables, soya beans. So one could take the daily requirements spread throughout the day. One would also have to consider the source of the information advising on lack of vitamins B?

@AnneWimsey There are much more efficient sources of B vitamins than bread.

@JohnByrne I should have said B 12, which is not so bio-available

@AnneWimsey Taking your situation to be parallel to that of the general population you can get the required daily amount, 2.4 micrograms of B-12 from foods such as those already stated.

I love my magnesium. According to my MD it helps with sleep and helps fight depression and anxiety.
Helps with so many different things. I know for a fact that it helps me. Chromium picolinate helps me stay slim and fights diabetes. My MD is very open minded with very different alternatives and she recommends them as we discuss them.
She is also into Integrative Medicine, you never hear of that about an MD.
I get blood work done every 3 months.
The soil is not the same, so therefore we lack of things.

@Crimson67 Calcium can not be properly utilized without adequate magnesium. They are BOTH required, and work better when balanced in about a 2:1 ratio calcium:magnesium.

I have observed in my own life that Calcium lowers my blood pressure significantly, and turmeric helps my aches & pains from fibromyalgia tremendously!

Turmeric does work. I agree.

No, I am sorry, they do actually work, and they're recommended because food tends not to have much vitamins, and the human body will deplete most of its daily vitamin intake in 24 hours, in which case it will be needed to be ingested again.

I have read articles like this before, and there is no official consensus on vitamins, but it is completely nonsensical to think that a person will ingest a nutrient, for it not to absorb into their body. It's just not how digestion works.

Don't listen to scummy journalists who are saying that some nutrients do not work, cause problems or should not be a part of a healthy diet, because that is basically the assertion in this news article, and they are not being honest, or actually paying attention to the subject matter. I would also like to note that Newsweek is NOT a point of reference. It is a biased media outlet, and more details on their bias is at this link:

[mediabiasfactcheck.com]

That being said, ONLY put your trust in points of reference, not the media or their "proof for hire" research teams, that are bought off by political parties.

I also want to note that the article has no necessary proof of vitamins not working, yes they find someway to assert this on a normative level, in true journalist fashion. A person can go on WebMD, PubChem, and other such sites and find out how the different vitamins help the body. Again, it's about having an actual point of reference to speak from, not a hackneyed statistical study rooted in weak induction and what was likely a terrible sampling method.

I don't know what you have heard about journalists and the media in general, but they are NOT honest or intelligent people. These people mentally form their reality from words rather than the other way around, which means that they not only have no comprehension of reality or have complete brain function, but they also do not have the capacity to disseminate on what is sensible language, or not. This makes them dangerously bad explainers, and more prone to passing on complete gibberish.

So it has been repeatedly stated

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:93682
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.