Agnostic.com

21 0

Will the world ever progress to a utopian civilization?

• 4 votes
  • 15 votes
  • 12 votes
Tejas 8 Oct 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

God I hope not. What a bore that would be.

Hmmm, true.

Unless everyone in the world agrees on what 'utopia' means, then no. And I'm not seeing that ever happening.

to have a perfect society we'd all have to be perfect, so i doubt it.

"Utopia" means something different to every single person. And it's impossible to know which of the various forms of civilization that exist is the most utopian. That ambiguity is part of the beauty of life, I think.

Dylan Level 5 Oct 7, 2017

I don't think the human race will survive long enough to get to that point.
Whether we destroy our atmosphere, water, ability to grow sufficient amounts of food I don't think we'll get that far.

I wonder who said, "The world is fine. It's the people who are in danger"

Everyone's idea of "Utopia" is different. Society of liberty where each individuals have maximum freedom to pursue their own version without limiting the liberty of another is the best that can be achieved.

A singular "Utopia" can only be achieved if all humanity have single consciousness, but then it would no longer be a society. It would be just one satisfied consciousness with individuals reduced to cogs or other machine parts. That would be a dystopia to me.

As the song goes. "When will there be a harvest for the world?"

We would have to loose all organized religion first.

can we ever properly define a utopia?

At the current rate of environmental degradation I have doubts that we can survive as a civilization at all. We are already facing problems that require cooperation on a worldwide level while the nations competing increasingly for the very resources that are causing the problems we face. Greed has had the upper hand for so, long I doubt we can shed it.

Considering the fact that utopia literally means "no place" I guess this would be a no.

Only if,through evolution,mankind loses it propensity to engage in selfish and violent behavior.

Likely not. Not sure I'd want one anyway. I'd like things to be better, sure.

I think it would depend on whom's version of a Utopia you're talking about. Personally mine would be a more empathetic and giving civilization than we currently have, one without a war for over 100 years. Currently appears to be totally impossible, but I think we'll get there eventually, it'll probably just take a few hundred more years of murder.

We will not see a utopian society but we could see an improved society. See The Venus Project and Zeitgeist Movement. Our current monetary system would need to collapse. We get rid of money and religion and we're on our way. Please don't try to tell me that we need money to buy things. Money, as we know it, did not always exist. There are other systems that would work quite well. Barter and a time bank.

I think a utopia is a bit of over shoot, since many would never agree on what 'perfect' is. However, minus the physics bending portions; a Star Trek (TNG) style civilization should be firmly within our grasp.

I think what we're experiencing as humans of today is a transitional phase. I believe we will harmonize when we reach a higher level of cognition and communication....or we will get just smart enough to spill the whole petree dish

We will become extinct long before that can happen. For proof just look at where we are headed.

Not in the foreseeable future....

having the third option blaming diversity for the worlds problems/progress seems bigoted and ill informed, there are many paths to a better future, our goals should simply be to progress, not to homogenise.

I guess i am bigoted on some things, especially when it comes to peoples beliefs. I have no interest in telling people to change who they are, but I would blame diversity being the problem when it came to progress. Some people simply don't care about progress or the future of the people on the planet. Everyone having progress in mind would change everything. I ment diverse in a particular way, sorry I didn't specify.

just look back 500 years, China was by far the most advanced technologically and culturally of all the civilisations, they had a culture that prioritised enlightenment. a logical mind at that time would have encouraged everyone in the world to follow their system of culture/Belief, The 'west' overtook them scientifically technologically and eventually culturally, for one simple reason. The Chinese had a eminence based science system, the highest ranking person had the final say, the Europeans (largely due to chaos and discord) came up with an Evidence based system, where the person with the best data and theories had the final say. who knows what other gems of knowledge and logic we could find along the way. I try and convince people why their archaic beliefs are wrong, as is my duty as a rational human. but new ways of thinking should be encouraged, so long as they're not bat sh*t crazy like scientology.

The rich and powerful have nothing to gain from it. So they will prevent it.

SamL Level 7 Oct 8, 2017

Someday, we will find a way. There is always a way.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:937
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.