Agnostic.com

5 3

How big is the universe?

Do you think the universe is infinite? Do you believe in a multiverse?

• 3 votes
  • 10 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 7 votes
CliffordStone 4 May 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Seems pretty common knowledge to me, but the universe is expanding and will one day collapse on itself ending everything as we know it. People speculate another big bang will occur after that and repeat the cycle.

Tejas Level 8 May 29, 2018

As it currently.stands the expansion is still accellerating. It could expand forever, and eventually just be a void in which the only things are black holes evaporating via Hawking radiation.

That way we get incarnated!!!!

@CliffordStone No, nope , nope, nope. That eliminates any type of causation.

@buzz13 I'm not sure what you mean.

No, the current thinking is the expansion of the Universe is accelerating. They explain this with "Dark Energy".

Bigger than the biggest thing you can imagine.

One Universe, infinite and eternal.

gater Level 7 May 29, 2018

So something out of nothing, not even energy?

@buzz13 The matter that is here has always been here, and always changing

Physics was leaning to infinite multiverse last time I checked. Could be different, but the math is working out to nicely for it not to be something.

Yeah, I was just curious if there was any contention on the subject. I thought of the multiverse when I was 14 and nearly slipped in the shower, thinking "what if I'd slipped and died? What if I DID slip and die?" I only later found out I wasn't even close to the first to imagine multiple timelines in which all possible outcomes do occur.

The pendulum is starting to swing back towards an oscillating universe.

@buzz13 Really?! even with Hawking's last collab on the subject?

It's pretty large.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:93907
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.