Agnostic.com

3 0

What is cultural appropriation as opposed to cultural appreciation?

What is acceptable within your sense of your culture in terms of someone dressing up, doing your accent etc? I can't stand the term, the Irish when it's addressed to me directly. I am not the entire country! I never claimed to represent it either. Also I'm not called paddy and no I won't say potatoe, damn! ?

Josephine 7 May 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Cultural appropriation is using cultural symbols or icons of another culture in a way that is inappropriate or offensive to that culture, like supporters of the Exeter Chiefs rugby team wearing Native American head-dresses to show their support for their team. Cultural appreciation could be having a Japanese-style tea-party because you really love the way they do it!

Dunno, but everyone loves ethnic food and many Caucasian women love to wear ethnic clothes, have pinatas at parties, do yoga, twist their hair into dreads, or braid their hair with beads, etc.

People are taking their favorite cultural elements and using them for themselves, almost as a tribute. For instance, although I'm Caucasian American, live very much like a Thai; I wear Thai clothes and shoes, eat Thai food and shop at small Thai places, carry an umbrella for both sun and rain, drive a motorbike instead of a car, take off my shoes in my doorway, etc.

Sometimes Thai people take me for a Thai and I have to tell them halfway through the conversation that I'm a foreigner.

I like to be culturally ambiguous. Although not Scottish I like to wear Scottish baronial style clothes. It does not matter to me. I also like to wear Asian clothes when its warm enough. I also have played in an Irish music band. So go figure?

Had my first haggis last year, it was delish. ... hear it may be illegal in some parts of the States, but I am Canuck, so don't have to worry about it. I love every genre of music from 'the channel', some call me McSlava.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:94417
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.