Agnostic.com

8 3

How do YOU navigate this website?

Do you make a lot of posts?
Do you read the comments too or just respond to the initial post?
Are you drawn to things you agree with or those you disagree with?
Do you follow people or subjects?
When I first became a member I was so worked up because I was focused on the comments I did not agree with. I had to walk away and think about what I wanted to get from being a member and what I could do to achieve that.
I came here thinking that everyone knew how to communicate clearly and respectfully. I have no clue why I would expect that when the rules for social interaction seem to be non-existent in the world today but I did have a false expectation and continue to get caught up in opposing things instead of supporting people I do agree with but I am working on changing that and was just curious about how other people utilize this site.

CreativelyMe 7 May 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I sometimes post, but usually comment on topics I have an interest in.
I find your post strangely illuminating. I have never looked at a thread in such a way, if I am in agreement or not is not even a part of why I post on a topic, it is the topic.
No matter what an op says, there will always be yeas and nays in the thread below.
Now I am kind of curious as to my own pysch pattern in those choices . . .

Sweet! I was hoping that would happen. Let me know what you discover about yourself.

@CreativelyMe I don't see one beyond the topic. I see the topic and respond, not the take on the topic (pro or con) and then respond.
For instance take gun control.
I often respond to gun control posts. I almost always make the same point no matter what the op is saying pro or con. It is the issue which needs addressing, and that requires discourse, not just shouting yes or no; followed by action based on the results of that discourse.
As a nation we keep avoiding the discourse.

I find it odd and kinda quirky that people would be drawn either to react or act, and not ber interested in the topic as much as their reaction to that topic.
Might be my aspie issues, but that just seems odd to me, to think in such a way.

@Davesnothere I am drawn to the topics too but found that I was responding to the negative ones more than the ones I agreed with. I agree it is odd but I see a lot of it on FB. Not sure if they are drawn to the topic or just looking for a fight but it is kind of rampant in the US these days.

@CreativelyMe It might just be reflexive. People see something they are vehemetly opposed to and react.

@Davesnothere Good point. I suppose it could be a survival thing because why respond to non-threatening things? At any rate I am making a conscious effort to focus on the positive.

With a compass? 🙂

I follow people based on their taste in specific topics, then there are few simple rules that work for me. You will have to discover what works for you based on what you want to talk about and how much you want to spend. I usually browse random postings and jump into the conversation and then all bets are off. Sometimes works well, other not so much. Bottom line, pretty much every contribution to a specific thread most of the time turns out an interesting learning experience. Yup, sometimes for the wrong reasons too. It's almost a requirement to have some sort of short memory. Overall, it's great.

lighten up its for you to decide just have fun and if they piss you off ignore them or poke fun

I stumble around and post comments I later regret.

Yes !!!.. I am not alone !!! 🙂

Too funny! <3

I tend to blunder around aimlessly. 🙂

I love it. Sounds like my road trips.

I comment on things that strike me to.
Rarely post.
Follow no one.
. Spent years as an /moderator in a very large and now defunct atheist group - woofla ? Any one ? . Still active in its off shoots and a few others - so responding without overly aggressive or inflammatory language comes natural . Does in life as well, except when religion is the subject.
I'm Anti-theist to the core, and pull no punches concerning it although I pick my battles mostly.

I have never heard of woofla but I sure am grateful for people that can disagree with others and remain respectful. That is huge to me.

The easiest way to not have to diffuse a situation is to not incite it.

There is a page that explains how to make points, with a few gaps, and how many you have now. Put the cursor on your name at the top right of your screen, the one that has Level x.x below your name.

A pop-up with two columns will appear. The columns are My Stuff and My Account. Towards the bottom of My Stuff, you will see My Points/Level. Select it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:94642
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.