Agnostic.com

15 1

Anybody here raised as an Atheist!

bowiesue 3 Dec 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was raised to figure things out for myself my parents never try to make me follow their beliefs although I was exposed to religion, I was also exposed to science and the scientific method. I was taught that magic didn't exist and that all things had a logical explanation whether we knew what it was or not.
At ten I reached my own conclusions.

I'd be very envious of anyone who was....

I guess yes. Never spoke about God in our family. In result 3 children are non believers

I wish. I didn't even raise my own kid atheist.

I wish I had been

Nope. I had the full Catholic experience growing up and I am now the official black sheep of my extended family and could not be happier about it.

Sorry. Appologies in advance - but having tried to make a sensible response to this earlier I couldn't resist making a silly one now. The down side of having a juvenile and childish sense of humour, I guess.

Have I been raised as an atheist?

Yes - it happens dozens of times a day (possibly many more) - lifts ('elevators' in the US), escalators, whenever I travel in an aircraft, whenever my car reaches an uphill slope, even on occasion by my own muscle power as I stand or climb stairs.

On all those occasions when I go upwards ot does not alter the fact that I am an atheist - so I am being 'raised as an atheist'.

Of course I'm also 'let down as an atheist' a similar number of times and to a similar total extent - because my 'on-going altitude' does not alter greatly, long term.

And I now finish off by apologising to the poor souls who've read this in disbelief, thinking 'this man's a complete IDIOT!'

Yes, I am ... grin

Sort of.

Dad - atheist.

Mum - mildly religious (church of England).

Both - trusting enough to allow their four children to listen, think and make up their own minds.

Result - one child profoundly religious. One mildly religious. Two howling atheists.

My life would be so different right now if I had been. I’m raising my child with a healthy sense of skepticism, especially since his father is uber-religious.

Yes I was ,but in the UK there is no strong religion to rebel against.No one is really that botheres to much about religion. Church attendences have been falling all my life.
I have found a spiritual cause though despite all that atheist idocrination!Both parents were lapsed Catholics because of the ridiculous teachings.

My beleif it is rather low key ,which is a typical British attitude to everything we do to be honest.We just don't like a fuss. The old joke is that you never discuss politics or religion over here. Pity as I love talking about both.

I was raised free from religion and allowed to decide for myself, unfortunately all my schools where religious schools, however this did mean I was subjected to the ridiculousness of it all which cemented my atheism.

Dav87 Level 6 Dec 21, 2017

Nope.

My dad was an atheist, my mom was not. I went a few years to Catholic school before we moved to a small town where that wasn't possible. When I started thinking about it, I realized I didn't believe any of that stuff. Knowing that my dad didn't believe any of it either made it easier to accept.

Half of my.family were atheist and half were catholic. I went to catholic schools but it didn't take long for me to figure it out for myself.

My mom was an Atheist when I was very young, probably still is to some extent...but she didn't want me to be an atheist because she was, so she sent me to multiple churches and allowed me to decide for myself. And now I am a Devout Agnostic. I appreciate what my mom did....it was quite the learning experience.

Wow

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:9469
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.