Agnostic.com

6 0

For the first time in my life, my father said he’d pray for me. This is in relation to an injury, so I understand and appreciate the concern, but I just want to scream at him. I don’t understand how you guys have survived this long with religious family... my parents have always been religious, but always told me ”This is what we believe” and not “This is how it is,” so although I’ve always known that they prayed for me, I’ve never had to address it. I think I’m just going to ignore that text...

DJVJ311 7 Dec 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It seems to me that if you have always known that they pray for you, you could simply continue doing what you always did, which is to ignore it. Have you had any serious discussions with them about your non-belief? This might be a good time for that, if and only if you want to.

For clarity, I am fine with my parents and consider myself lucky. They’ve never forced religion on me. I was just expressing my frustration at this small interaction and appreciating how much more many of you have endured. As I said above, I appreciate his concern.

Do what makes you feel comfortable.

Just like funerals are more for those who survive than actually for the person who died, "thoughts and prayers" are more for those who are unable to actually do anything of real consequence as a way to make them feel better, even it it does nothing for the injured or sick person.

Someone on this site, I forget who, said "Thought nd prayers are like masturbation. It makes the person doing it feel better, but does absolutely nothing for the person they are thinking about."

Maybe your parents just want you to get well. You don't believe in their methods - but the intention is honourable.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:9514
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.