Agnostic.com

12 1

I never saw attitude (positivity) affect outcome. Nurse since 1975.

Authentic contains both positive and negative. Yesterday I had an MRI. How I felt about it ( claustrophobic, I HATED it.) is not going to change the report. It is what it is. Thoughts and prayers do not change biopsy reports, either. I would like for the problem to be fixable by surgery or PT, but not holding my breath. I do not want my life to be about pain.

ForTheBirds 6 Dec 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You are going to die. From the moment you are a zygote, that is the road you are on. It's the trip, not the destination. Attitude does not change a dammed thing. The result is the same.

Somebody, I've lost my memory of who I'm quoting, said on the occation of his suicide. " Goodby world, you sweet cesspool." What difference does it make how I tackle or cope with my suffering, or my dealing with the ugly changes coming to get me? I'd rather move on now than look like my mother. Death comes to everybody. I'm not afraid.

I can only talk about my experience but there is this little movie called "the guitar". I like the "non patient" that lives a full life because is ignorant of his/her illness. GF in germany went thru chemotherapy within months of us getting together... she thought I was going to leave her... she thought she was going to lose her hair... first thing was fitting her with a wig never got to use. She was the most uplifted biz as usual patient I ever saw. Scared me because she seemed to be just strong... being 6'2" don't take away from the perception of course but she was simply very business like without worry of what could go wrong... the fact I was by her side may had a lot to do with it. But she was in system where the year she did not worked, she was receiving 70% of her salary and all medical expenses were free. It was a different animal she had to go thru. For those in america... illness is a lot tougher and meaner in a lot less compassionate environment I am afraid to add. Lets start with glass half full instead of glass half empty... I believe with attitude alone you can change many outcomes in your life. Time for you to be selfish and ask yourself... What do you really want?

I had a 5 year major depression episode 20 years ago. My Doc would say " Could you put some belief in it? " I would reply " Nope. I do not have any of that. Either it will work like insulin or antibiotics or it will not work at all on me". Nurses are hard patients. We've seen too much.

in that case you have never heard of the placebo effect.

I've heard about placebo affect. I got it in Nursing School as a course on medication, not Psych. There must be some willingness to believe involved. I do not have that. It's just not there, like my lack of fear on spiders and snakes. I was not involved with Cancer Nursing or med research. When it came to psych meds, I was super skeptical. My dear, kind Shrink respected my issues, and it took months to find a drug that did help until I had a massive allergic reaction to it. Then we were back to the drawing board. In retrospect, I should just have enjoyed being crazy, I had some wicked fun. Normal is stunningly boring.

I would say that, as a person living with chronic pain (from rheumatoid arthritis) that when I feel positive about my life in general, I do not feel as much pain. This may be because I have enough to distract me from the constant nagging of my joints. On the other hand, I may feel more positive BECAUSE my pain is limited. Chicken? Egg?

that's sad to hear that a positive outlook does not help your anatomy. now what am i going to do ?

I understand where you are coming from-I'm an AML-Acute Myloid Leukemia survivor. Please feel free to message me if you'd like.

I spent a huge chunk of my life as a Cardiac Nurse. I did so much teaching. My VERY rare ( less than 2,000 cases in the USA) was treated very agressively because they didn't truly know what to do, or how it would affect my quality of life. I got zero teaching, just the wham bam thank you mam treatment and now living with the side affects.

I live with chronic pain from nerve damage and spinal issues. I only wish it on horrible people.

I have a liver autoimmune, I have to have three mris a year. Besides the yearly ones for my back and neck. Ask for the mirror glasses and a Valium or lorazepam for the anxiety.

I’m a cancer survivor, my daughter has precancerous tumors, and my Mom is going through chemo—all uterine cancer; cancer has taken my Pop and his twin already. Find a support group, they are online or irl.

I don't think "thoughts and prayers" have any actual affect on a persons physical condition. However, it does seem to make some people feel better psycholgically (not the patient, but loved ones)

Just liek funerals aren't actually for the dead person, but is actually for those left behind, thoughts and prayers are not really for the sick person, but for those who feel helpless to actually do anything of consequence to make the situation better.

Good luck. I’ve been there. I’ve had at least 5 mri’s for an injured back. I hope you feel better.

Best of luck to you! (not that luck matters either, but...)

skado Level 9 Dec 21, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:9522
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.