Agnostic.com

11 1

Why do christians speak of peace when their bible is so full of war.

Marine 8 May 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Can You call United States of America a "Peaceful Nation" when been involved in one way or another in practically every War on the Planet Earth? Who has the largest military budget in the history of mankind and Yes is a christian nation? What do you expect when looking at ancient history? World Peace Convenctions? Do you see them? Do you complain about mass muderers in our schools? Why? When all I can find in TV are shows were murder take place. Is nra an association for anti war endeavors? That is like any of our presidents talking of world peace and selling arms to a faction involved in a war. ameriKKKa has one war left to wage and keep fucking postponing it for 73 years and counting. Instead making war to Granada and Panama. Honest I give a rat's ass about wars conducted 3,000 years ago or complaints about the bible today. I am not at war with god, jesus, church, religion, christians or the bible. I am simply a non militant atheist capable of ignoring muslims, christians and militant atheists.

We are constantly reminded that Islam is a religion of peace....Maybe it is..maybe it isn't
I would say the same of Christianity....noting that the old testament should have a Certificate 18 stamped on it..top shelf only... I read the children's bible with pictures..as a kid. I was horrified.
Peace my ass..

in my experience heaven and peace and love we're stressed more than hell and War and death. just because that book is so full of it, does not mean to that's what what Christians are thinking about all the time.

Three Es over two I s

Because in order to have peace, ALL who don't believe/follow blindly need to die. :/

All Abrahamic religions follow this idea.

Speaking of peace is for PR and times of peace. When they start speaking of safety is when you should be scared.

Christians claim the New Testament as their bible, and actually it is not full of war. Better to ask why Christians embarked on Crusades and Inquisitions.

Yeah, they don't like it when you bring up the Crusades or Inquisitions....
They get very uncomfortable trying to gloss over that.

There's a lot of nice rhetoric until you unpack what it really means. For example, Jesus is generally claimed to be the fulfillment of Isaiah 9:6, such that Jesus is said to be the "prince of peace". During his ministry he said "my peace I give unto you [my followers]".

On the other hand Jesus also said he came "not to bring peace but a sword" and then went on to describe how there would be conflict between believers and unbelievers, even within families.

So Jesus is actually the prince of peace within the church -- those who believe in and worship him and toe the party line. Everyone else has to convert or suffer the consequences. And it's pretty merciless -- Jesus chased the money-changers and merchants out of the temple with whips, and cursed a fig tree for not bearing fruit for him to eat -- despite that figs weren't even in season. The message is, do it my way, and hop to it, or else. No excuses.

But Mohammad is the evil monster.

The funny thing is, there is more divisiveness within the christian churches than outside of them. And Catholics speak of reunification of all the churches like they're North Korea.

@MARDUK Yeah but it's fun to argue the logical inconsistencies even within the doctrines.

This is an atheist and agnostic site and god, church and religion are the most popular themes. Ain't that some shit?

It is so ubiquitous and in our faces that it is much like talking about the weather, especially here in the crotch of the Bible Belt.

@Meep70 Funny how I fail to be affected by all that around me.

We're in a transitional stage that started really picking up steam with Darwin. So once 50% or more of us are non-religious, and the dubious origins of religions are commonplace knowledge, a lot of this should die down.

@Rossy92 there always been atheists in all eras! So your 50 percent solution may work only 50 percent of the time. HA, HE, HE, HA, HE, HA.

@GipsyOfNewSpain I can't claim to be completely unaffected, but it doesn't affect much in my life. I observe it at almost every turn, though.

@GipsyOfNewSpain A few have always been sharp and knowledgeable enough to see through the baloney. And I'm sure some never will be, just like some still believe in a flat earth.

@Meep70 that's the spirit!

Kind of like the old SAC motto:
"Peace Is Our Profession"

It really upsets me when they speak of an all loving god who repeatedly asks for the extermination of people he created in his image. These must be rejects?It is so frustrating that people do not see how quietus the bible is and how quixotic.

God astaught to me was composed as a trinity Jesus as one part redicculas as that might be. Therefore there isn’t any difference .

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:95438
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.