Agnostic.com

10 11

Hi everyone! This is my first post, so please be gentle 😉

Have any of you had experience of dating / being engaged to / married to someone who converted to a religion AFTER you were already with them? If so what were your experiences?

Here is what mine was like.

Eleven years ago I was with a wonderful woman who I will call 'S'.

We had been together for about two years, we were living together, engaged, and I was step-father to her two kiddies. All was going well until she became very sick. We didn't know what it was at the time, but it turned out to be MS and Behcet's disease (If you had to google that last one your not alone, most doctors have to as well, its is that rare.)

She probably had brain lesions even then, and was on very strong meds and pain relief. Then she had her 'vision', of an angel hovering in front of a church. I maintain it was a brain lesion + medication induced hallucination, affected by setting and cultural upbringing.

Anyway, she became born again, and this is when the problems started. To be fair, she didn't try (much) to convert me, but the home did start having religious iconography appearing on the walls and shelves, christian radio started playing in the car etc.

I tolerated this. I can imagine that faith in a peaceful afterlife is quite comforting, if your time on earth is one of constant pain, sickness, disablement and probably going to be cut short.

She later 'introduced' her children to the church, which like most, had a kids section. Consequently they became believers as well.

This I was far less happy with, as my firm position is that children should be brought up ideologically neutral. If they then wish to adopt an ideology/philosophy/religion etc when they turn 18 then that is their decision.

I started to feel very uncomfortable, as being an atheist in a home full of believers was not ideal. I had to keep my lack of belief hidden from the kids as 'it would confuse them.'

I put up and shut up with this for a further eight years, partly for the kids and partly as I was her full time carer.

However her condition improved with chemotherapy (which is not just for cancer BTW) so I was not needed around as much.

Then my father had a TIA (mini-stroke.) I moved back in with my parents to help look after him, and to help my mum look after both my dad and my grandmother, who is 83, and has alzheimer's, dementia and leukemia.

This separation provided the breathing room I needed to think about what I wanted out of life, so after my father made a full recovery, I decided not to go back.

I still see the kiddies regularly, but I am now ready to move on with my life. Bring on 2018!

Nomad 6 Dec 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would have a hard time, as well, once kids were involved. Heck, I’m having a hard time with my sister who is devout. It’s always a lot of work, the religious divide but I draw the line with my child—at home, in school, and anywhere else it matters. Kids are too impressionable. I wouldn’t want my kids duped by religion.

Your lack of religion should not confuse your kids, as it is explained in the most simple terms. Your lack of belief is the same as the question of 'what is the color of the teapot that is orbiting our Planet?'Teach your children that morality exists without god and that religion is mythology. Incorporate lots of fun mythological stories while they are in your care. Tell them that some people think the only way to be good is through religion, but when they grow up, many find out that snakes and Teddy Bears don't talk, that they have been good all along and that is what counts. We lead by example.

Wow, um I applaud your commitment to the kids. Can honestly say I'da booggied. There are alot of take aways and I hope your future relationships are alot more fun.

That's tough! I sometimes think I'm not fair to my wife, because I didn't call myself an atheist when we first met. Luckily for me, even though she's a Catholic, she doesn't talk about it, or go to church. She found out by accident that I am an atheist, after she saw some of the websites I'd been visiting. She was accepting of my atheism, but I've become more active in my non-religion since she let me know she accepted it. I've dragged her to some skeptic conventions, and some atheist meet ups I think in the back of my mind hoping she'd come over to my way of thinking about gods. She hasn't, and I don't think she will, but that's ok. I know she she gets tired of me critiquing the religious things I see and hear, but sometimes I can't help myself.
Anyway, it's not always the non-religious that convert, sometimes a spouse de-converts too. So far she has stood by me.

Yes, I married a non-religious guy, who was probably latently religious, and he became a "full-time worker for go" after the death of his 9 year old daughter. I understood, I realised he felt guilty as he hadn't done enough for her, etc, etc, etc. He joined an african christian "church" who take the buybull literally, with all that that entails. I put up with it, but eventually it ended our marriage, and our 3 children have never recovered from his abandonment. He left us because "the church is my family now" and it says in the buybull you have to give up your own family. I was atheist before & always have been, because I'm not stupid, but have seen the damage religion can cause up close, and it sickens me.

Yeah it can be hard to recognize the need to get out of a relationship. Going through that right now but not for religious reasons. I think the best thing I read in your post is that you still see the kids. That's great! Welcome aboard!

wow, that is quite a story, a patient guy arent you?( I can't talk, I was with a jerk, but he was not religious). anyway , congrats you got away!! Here's to 2018 for us both!!

I thought similarly -- very patient to hang in there another eight years. No way I could have done that in those circumstances.

Welcome aboard baldy. ????

I didn't share your experience: my wife, if anything, is less religious now than she was, despite having a number of serious health issues. But there was a time when (perhaps under pressure from her parents) she insisted that our two children go to Sunday School. I didn't approve but reluctantly agreed. Our older child (a girl) quite liked it, but our younger (boy) hated it, and I had to point out that it would do more harm than good to take him there kicking and screaming. So he stopped going, and is an atheist now, anyway. My point, I suppose, is that you shouldn't worry about 'confusing' your children. It's important for them to know that people have different beliefs (or none). They'll work it out for themselves eventually.

It’s important to be true to yourself. Conversion is a serious change in a person, and I think, as you said, it would/could cause a serious problem. For me, I would lose respect for my partner, which would end the relationship.

Well said. Any sort of delusional thinking would be an issue, if not an end.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:9580
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.