Agnostic.com

8 1

How would you describe Humanism?

Marine 8 June 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Humanism as a secular movement that emphasises scientific values and the value of human life is the definition I've seen before. I've also seen them being associated with movements to lend weight to non-religious morals. i feel it is still trying to define itself better.

To me the "cleanest" usage is of the term is: "Humanism is the belief that human life has intrinsic value"; this is to be contrasted with the view that human life has only extrinsic (or instrumental) value; i.e., that human life is only a test to see where one will spend eternity. Of course "secular humanism" holds the further thesis that there is no afterlife, while religious humanism holds that there is--and that it as well as life on earth is intrinsically valuable.

My experience of interacting with humanists is not good. They seem to be predominantly made up of white, middle class, libertarian contrarians who vote green.

For me it's all about human rights. Some people say rights are God-given, then proceed to deny them to anyone outside of favored political boundaries or pick and choose among them inside their own territory. Humanism would say that rights transcend boundaries and ideologies and that even if they are God-given, they must be protected for humans by humans. To me, if there was a message for humankind in the Cross, it's been completely missed. The message I get: Don't Torture! Don't Torture as punishment and don't torture as example. Nobody deserves it and nobody who does it can ever wash that stain away.

Wiipedia
Humanism is a philosophical and ethical stance that emphasizes the value and agency of human beings, individually and collectively, and generally prefers critical thinking and evidence (rationalism and empiricism) over acceptance of dogma or superstition. The meaning of the term humanism has fluctuated according to the successive intellectual movements which have identified with it.[1] The term was coined by theologian Friedrich Niethammer at the beginning of the 19th century to refer to a system of education based on the study of classical literature ("classical humanism" ). Generally, however, humanism refers to a perspective that affirms some notion of human freedom and progress.

In modern times, humanist movements are typically non-religious movements aligned with secularism, and today humanism typically refers to a nontheistic life stance centred on human agency and looking to science rather than revelation from a supernatural source to understand the world.[2][3]

The humanism that i am connected with also is concerned with all animals plants and environment because these are all interconnected

I place very little credit in your source

@Marine Follow the references for additional refereed info.

Caring for and advancing the needs and wellbeing of the human family and the earth that supports all life.

Living your life without thought of god(s)

For me to be a humanist taking responsibility for conserving the planet and all living upon it. That means respect for all animals, plants and the environment we live in. To disparage any of these is to be criminal. To protect all is to be a humanist.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:96466
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.