Agnostic.com

12 3

Identity Politics

...is a phrase I hear a lot these days, but people seem to be using it to mean different things. What does it mean to you?

skado 9 June 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There is some serious 'identity politics' down south. IMO

Randy Newman's Kingfish.

Exactly what Huey was talking about. People have this deranged compulsion to 'belong' to a political movement, philosophy or party; seemingly as a confirmation of their worthiness or validation of positions with which they find an identity.

They are all the same (include religion in that) faith based chicken in a pot with pie in the sky for dessert. Artifice to titillate imaginations and keep stomachs empty. Loved Huey's style!

IMO it is various manifestations of tribalism based on identification with any combination of age, religion, social class or caste, culture, dialect, disability, education, ethnicity, language, nationality, sex, gender identity, generation, occupation, profession, race, political party affiliation, sexual orientation, settlement, urban and rural habitation, and veteran status.

I'm impressed you could come up with all that shit! I also agree with you. ☺

I think identity politics refers to people whose main political interest is determined by their race, creed, sexual orientation or set of values they align themselves with. I identify myself with the human race (humanism), no religious creed (agnostic, atheist) and as a person with liberal views. So I'll be voting Democratic come November because out of the 2 party system in this country the dems represent my views much better than the other party, but I'm still looking to be inspired by someone, anyone in the political arena.

Identity politics is any attempt to give a group better or lesser treatment, or that a group should be heard more or silent more, based upon who or what they are. (i.e. sex, race, sexual orientation, gender, etc.) Typically the term is only used for traits that are immutable. Thus political affiliation, or religion are not considered part of identity politics.

While the term is often misused these days, it can be a problem in some scenarios. For instance I have heard people argue in some conversations that X person is wrong because they are a man, or white, rather than because their argument was flawed.

AFAIK it's acknowledging that being part of a certain group affects your chances in life. A view that seems backed by the sociology. If, frex, you're born poor white in the Appalachians you'll have to work harder for the same things than someone born middle class in Houston. You have less access to the resources available to the wealthier urban dweller and so a reduced chance of becoming not poor.
This is demonstrably true of a great many minorities and of women. Hence intersectionallity, the notion that the disadvantage of each group reinforces the other disadvantages.
It becomes problematic when it is the whole focus of a person's politics.

These days it means the alt-right pushing their agenda for a white-only America.

Identity politics is the use of a single or a few physical or psychological characteristics to define different social groups and then using the perceived (or real) oppression/privilege of those groups to obtain political leverage.

The use of identity politics tends to focus on the collective and tries to ignore individual differences within groups when those differences run counter to the chosen group “narrative”.

When real injustice exists, identity politics is a useful strategy for helping to change the social attitudes and systemic issues that perpetuate the injustice.

When the injustice does not exist or at least is unclear or complicated, identity politics is at best a blunt tool for moral and social progress, and at worst socially destructive.

The important thing to remember is that, no matter how you group people, typically there is more diversity within a given group than there is between two different groups. The final goal of social and human rights movements is to have all humans judged on their individual merits, not on immutable characteristics. It may never be achieved, but we mustn’t lose sight of what the goal actually is.

^^This. Masterfully done.

@stinkeye_a Why thank you! I really appreciate it 🙂 🙂 🙂

Literally the only time I've heard it referenced was in scolding certain groups of people (usually women, black folks, latinx, etc) for trying to bring group-specific issues to the forefront because that detracts from the main goal (whatever that is; hasn't ever been defined). It's always been used in a derogatory manner.

I keep meaning to look it up and see what it actually is, so thanks for the reminder.

I think it means your politics are based around your identity, whether it's race, or LGBTQ, or a woman, or blue-collar, or whatever you identify as.

i thought it referred to being more issue oriented, like gun rights or gun control, or green, animal rights, pro-dog or pro-cat etc.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:96841
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.