Agnostic.com

19 3

What are your opinions on nature worship?

EmeraldJewel 7 June 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I disapprove of any kind of worship. It’s disgusting.

I agree! Respect for nature is one thing, though.

@EmeraldJewel respect, not worship

I have been a Pantheist most of my life, kind of a sexy atheist who loves nature. The earth is sacred and the universe divine. This pretty much sums up how I live. I am clearly an atheist though, their is no creator or creation, just existence that came about in chaos by random chance.

I say it's 'projection'. Not any different than doing it with a made up diety, except that nature is real. The projection part is the problem.

Nature doesn't care about worship. It requires a reasonable degree of protection and care, which could perhaps be called "honoring earth". The planet and its ecosystems will survive without us, should we as a species destroy ourselves. We will not survive without nature, though. I celebrate seasons, find great delight in watching the moon, and smelling flowers. And I use plants as medicine. Does that constitute worship? I don't think so.

Not only would they survive, they'd likely thrive without us.... :/

I worship nothing. I am Pagan and atheist. I love nature, and honor her, but I don't believe that anything in nature is supernatural, and I do not believe in the gods and goddesses as all powerful or beings that require worship. I prefer to think that I am part of nature and interact with her.

I see it as a silly waste of time, but leave people to their own devices.

Makes no sense to me.
That said, I am a nature lover.as in I have spent nearly half of my life in rural or wilderness locations and I love that.
Worship nature?
I do not see nature as something which desires or needs worship.
I am part and parcel of nature.
And Nature will be as quick to eat and digest me, or send my entire species into oblivion, as it has the myriad before me.
Understanding that does not inspire worship. Respect yes, worship no.

Do you worship Anthrax or Small Pox or Malaria?

Nope!

Tis a given as an atheist

Well, I used to be a witch, so I think that it's much better than worshipping some god. And the Wiccans that I met during the circles were much nicer than any Christians. I like their creed: "ere it harm no other living thing, do as thou wilst."

I thought wicans had 2 gods. The goddes and the horned god.

I don't worship.

At least it exists and is very important to our existence, unlike you know who.

That’s what I was thinking.

I like what nature gives me both emotionally and actually and try not to abuse it, but i don't worship it. I consider myself part of it and subject to the same rules, i.e. i will return to it soon enough ?

Nature is cool and fun and beautiful. We need this planet--as far as I can tell, it's the only one we have. But worship? No, worship of almost anything is a bad idea. I prefer to love and care for nature instead.

I like it.

I mean, if you worship anything, which we all do in one way or another, in the secular or the religious sense, then you're worshipping nature.

Some people shake hands, some people love emotional episodes, some people like to go on outings. Some people nature worship....where does nature worship even go in the ranking of norms? Personally, I think it's overrated. Not everything in nature is meant for people, and a person is no longer a truly natural creature. The person is a world-builder. The person likes to institute technologies, learn things, etc. They are the only animal on earth that does what could be called "people things", because they are so much more numerous in thinking material than the other species, and thus have the potential to do the right thing better than anything else on Earth. People are not externalized, automatic and reactive creatures, like the other animals. They are a well-developed brain with limbs, basically.

So as a person, I am not really infatuated with nature. It's just more knowledge and experience.

I worship nature... I love to be nude in the wilderness, get nice and stoned in nature... at least nature is real!

Yes nature is real. Unlike some things.

I feel worship might be a basic human activity for many but I don't feel the same. I'm amazed and in wonder at nature but not worship.

There's no need to put any nature ideals on a pedestal or perform ceremonies in ritualistic fashion. Nature does not care.

Unnerving search for understanding nature is perhaps the most important and worthy pursuit there is.

Worshiping anything seems wrong to me. Why do we need to think of something as greater than ourselves, when we are as much a part of the whole as anything else?

Exactly!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:97249
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.