Agnostic.com

10 2

LINK Documents Reveal the Mormon Church Has Investments Worth At Least $32 Billion – Friendly Atheist

Thank goodness for MormonLeaks.

The whistle-blowing website has now released information about 13 businesses that “appear to have ties to the Mormon Church” based on their government filings — filings you only have to submit if your company manages sums over $100 million.

They’re all investment companies that manage money and, in total, they’re worth a collective $32,769,914,000.

That’s more than 32 billion dollars. With a B.

Lukian 8 June 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'd love to start my own religion.

LOL!

Donny & Marie, Mittens Romnoid, Golly whiz !!

"The way to make a million dollars is to start a religion."
L. Ron Hubbard founder of Scientology, probably talking about Joseph Smith.

Clearly, I need to start my own church.

We give about that much to the 'state' of Israel every ten years. What could be more common, like sand and water, yet astonishingly more expensive than bullshit?

This is possible because our laws allow it. It's my view that there should not be tax relief for "member benefit organizations" be they churches or lodges or whatever ... tax incentives should only exist for actual public charity, not for private club activities such as indoctrination (church, Sunday School), proselytization or any other form of new member solicitation, member entertainment, etc. Food kitchens, food banks, clothing for the indigent, sure. But not private club activities.

And "non profit" should be something other than an accounting trick. Profits should really be reinvested in more charity, not retained to the tune of billions of dollars.

Religion is very profitable...but, my worry would be about the power, such wealth holds for political purposes?

That is what the article is suggesting i.e. Potential political donations and PACs

Of course. That's what Jesus would have done.

Not my church so...

Ah the comforting SEP philosophy of life, as detailed by Douglas Adams.

"A SEP is something we can't see, or don't see, or our brain doesn't let us see, because we think that it's somebody else's problem. That’s what SEP means. Somebody Else’s Problem. The brain just edits it out, it's like a blind spot."

@LenHazell53 xtians, atheist, muslims never been my problem... but somebody wanting me to pick up their agenda is My Problem.

@GipsyOfNewSpain
Then I would seriously look into just how much of a threat the LDS really is, a company that has a controlling interest in a vast media empire, politics, business, transport, has massive influence in the stock market agricultural policy.
That is someone not only wanting to you to pick up their agenda, but who has strapped it to your back without you noticing and is whipping you in to carrying it for them.

@LenHazell53 Worry about your shit!!! That is how jesus and mudhamed started minding, others business.

Time to send them a tax bill.

It is a general rule of thumb among religious institutions to assure the various governments of the world that should they be asked nicely they would be completely willing to pay their taxes, and they are quite determined to stick to that pledge of fiscal honesty so long as nobody ever does ask them, in this way the clercal and the secular authorities are both able to remain civil to one another and honour the various international clauses regarding separation of church and state.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:97486
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.