Agnostic.com

8 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Ido not think so as it wold exclude so much beauty

Not necessarily. I recently listened to an interview of a prof who was at the forefront of developing a mathematics which accurately describes causal relationships. It was a fascinating interview and never did I hear anything about any concern over eloquence.

@TheMiddleWay
Not the interview, but on the same subject:
[wired.com]

The Big Bang Theory attempts to explain the beginning of the Universe - these nerdy scientists have many formulas backing up their "theories" - just one problem - there was no beginning to the Universe.

gater Level 7 June 3, 2018

@TheMiddleWay Its not a theory - its a fact - The Universe is infinite and had no beginning - both facts.

I will explain - the Universe is either infinite or finite - just 2 options, and if you claim its finite you must explain what lies outside of this finite Universe - and it can only be more space. So we know the Universe is infinite. And its always been that way.

@TheMiddleWay Sorry you are a bright guy but you are clearly wrong. A fact is something that can be proven to be true. I proved to you that the Universe is infinite, your answer to mine is illogical because at some point you do have to account for a finite boundary.
Space is infinite - fact

@TheMiddleWay When you really comprehend the Universe you realize that space continues forever and its always been that way - there is no other way it could be.

@TheMiddleWay There is no other way it could be. And it is a fact because it is true.

@TheMiddleWay If you understood the Universe, you would simply agree with me.

@Mortal It is fact and if you don't realize it then you clearly don't have the mental capacity for it, kind of like your running windows 98.

@gater Fuck. Me. Sideways. I would not invite you to dinner - you would be the most relentlessly, single minded and boring person at the table.

@TheMiddleWay Copy that. Exactly. An extreme example of militant atheism which is the same as militant religious folk.

@gater infinite indeed my man....multiple dimensional as well...

@Palindromeman You can't handle the truth

@TheMiddleWay Look college boy - you may know physics - but you don't see the big picture. The is no physical way the Universe could ever end at some point - fact. Deal with that.

@TheMiddleWay, @Honey4Oshun We have length, width, and depth - that's it.

@TheMiddleWay No whats odd is that you have a Phd in Physics and you don't understand that the Universe is infinite - shaking my head.

@Mortal Universal truths come from basic Logic, Aristotle said the Universe was infinite over 2,000 years ago - its not that complicated - if you can't understand that it HAS to be infinite - then you do not have the mental capacity to comprehend infinity - not an insult - a fact.

@TheMiddleWay Its not anyones guess - the evidence is clear. I have no degree in physics - however I did take a Physics course once and I had to take over the class when the professor couldn't understand a certain concept - kind of like you.

@TheMiddleWay All 3 of those are wrong - Infinite space is a Universal Truth - That's something that will always be true.

@TheMiddleWay This whole dialogue is getting old - define space, because you don't seem to understand what space is.

@TheMiddleWay hold out you hands and pretend you are holding a basketball - that empty area between your hands is space - its no different than any space in the Universe. Space can be empty or occupied. Space can not be created or destroyed, it extends forever.

@TheMiddleWay You say you understand my position - if you did you would know what I am saying is true and there is no option B. You do not understand because if you did you would be calling it a fact too.

@TheMiddleWay Your problem lies in grasping logic - Abstract reasoning is the highest level of Philosophy - and all men aren't wired to comprehend all things.

@gater That is so correct. It's why I turn to social media to answer all my questions.

@TheMiddleWay It is there - and its so simple - and yet you are in denial.

I'm not a physicist but isn't it possible to simplify and make 'elegant' most equations?

@TheMiddleWay like in Genesis....perhaps

What I don't like about the fields of "exteme" math (har, har), theorhetical phsycis, string theory and such, is that is sidetracks the best minds in our country into a pursuit that doesn't result in many (or ANY) real world solutions. These people could be curing cancer or developing clean energy solutions, but instead they're just dreaming up new models that may or may not describe something real.

Fins Level 4 June 3, 2018

@TheMiddleWay True - but what has sent me down this line of thought is that I have a niece who is brilliant and her whole life wanted to go to vet school. And she did, but it turns out that vet school is basically just as hard to get into as med school. So now she's been a vet for 20 years and works mainly doing routine exams and procedures on cats and dogs. And although I'm glad she's doing what she likes, at the same time I can't help think that her mind would have been more of a benefit to society if applied to some task more pressing than neutering dogs.

@TheMiddleWay I am glad he choose Queen too...something he felt he could capture the nation's attention with...otherwise he would have slipped into oblivion as most great minds do.

Not at all, no more than poetic language detracts from descriptions. Actually elegant equations in my mind are elegant because they are concise and clear

Yes!

skado Level 9 June 3, 2018

I agree. However, I do love the elegant mathematics, too. Perhaps we need to create a separate branch for experimental, prediction-based physics to search for more answers.

meh .... or as I pointed out, maybe these brilliant folks should be figuring out a cure for cancer, or inventing new battery technology or clean energy solutions. There's lots of REAL problems to solve in our world without inventing problems that never need to be solved!

@Fins Cosigned

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:98329
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.