Agnostic.com

13 5

Should I just give up?

I'm super frustrated right now. I'm going to school online for cyber security and summer classes started Wednesday. In my intro to programming C# class I've been working on lab 1 for about 14 hours and I still can't wrap my head around it. The lab didn't seem to have anything to do with any of the assigned reading or video tutorials. This is an intro class, no experience necessary. I'm just so defeated. I've always considered myself pretty bright, but I'm feeling pretty dumb. If I can't grasp lab 1 in an intro course, then what the hell am I gonna do in week 2 or when midterms hit? I'm honestly considering just dropping out tomorrow when the school opens.

BrightTyger979 6 June 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

How long is it since you did any study? It can be very difficult to 'break the ice' again. I would stick with it if I were you; its only an intro as you said, so not as important as what comes later. just put it down to,the pains of academic re-entry!

StJohn Level 6 June 11, 2018

There should still be an instructor you could turn to for help or even alumni. Most schools have an alumni section, advisors and tutors. Maybe drop the class but not drop out?

Nope⭐☝️

I can't fathom taking an online course, especially with programming. I never did finish my software engineering degree. But, lots of us would get together after school for a study session. It's not an easy profession. We would reguarly send emails and call each other on the phone as well. I took two C++ classes and 2 Java Classes, plus Logic class, and a bunch of gen eds. I gave up mostly because I had to pay for it out of pocket, and I needed to pass some calculus classes. Most people will NEVER use that in life. Don't feel stupid. It's not easy. The first C++ I killed it. Second class I barely passed.

Two thoughts...one is--is it too late to get a tutor? Second, is this class REALLY necessary for the degree? I dropped Chemistry and, although it was embarrassing, it turned out that I didn't really ''need'' it. Wishing you well!

i concur ??

I don't know if this will help, but I hope it does... I find YouTube tutorials to be a great resource at times like these. Don't give up.

It's possibly something silly like you used a colon instead of a semicolon. You need to find help. Get someone to look at what you are doing and find the mistake. Can you send screen shots to your instructor? I took computer science 101 a year ago after having taken Javascript with Khan Academy. I learned Java in CSC 101. It was challenging, but I didn't give up, I worked harder and got some help and did well in the end. At the beginning, being bright has nothing to do with it. Maybe try Code Academy's free stuff if they have any C#. I just did their Java to review since I'm taking Advanced Java starting today and it's been 5 months. I used codingbat to help me learn too, but I don't know if they have C#.

Get an online copy of "C# in a nutshell" they explain all the concepts my dude. Good luck because C# is not a beginner's programming language.

@CrazyQuilter I remember taking that course. It was a lot of fun, and yes, punching those cards! This was before even calculators.

@CrazyQuilter What about Assembler? That's a beginners langauge. lol

Ironically I was better at C++ than Java or Python.

@TheGreatShadow

Assembler is NOT a beginner's language. It is much more complex than the high-level languages because much more information needs to be utilized to do much less, and none of it is intuitively readable.

@CrazyQuilter

One of my mathematics professors, whose field of education was Engineering, was one of the first people to use FORTRAN, because in his time, it was the latest thing. He was an engineer in the Navy and the military got a hold of the first programming languages before other people did.

@DZhukovin That was a joke. COBOL really isn't either.

@TheGreatShadow

No, it's not. That was another language my professor used, and he was also one of the first people to use it.

Never give up. Any programming is just a series of logical steps. The syntax is merely the means of expressing the steps. Wrap your head around this. Every object has properties methods and events. Look at the whole as individual problems that lead to an end result. My discipline in our science is database so I don’t get to write as much front end stuff as I used to. Don’t be discouraged. It is my observation that it takes at least 3 years before most can program their way out of a wet paper bag. Hang in there. The light bulb will come on.

Is it anything you can email across to people? I've never learnt C but I'm pretty experienced with VBA and have three days off from Tuesday, so I could possibly help you get your head around it.

Lemme know.

Very kind and helpful. ?

Is this your first attempt at an on-line course?

Ask! As an ex-professor I was always happy (well, maybe not happy, but willing) to clarify assignments for students -- especially early in a course. Waiting is not a good idea because you can fall too far behind to catch up. If you word the issue as your inexperience, you'll get farther. I would say most instructors want students to be successful.

Is there not a professor that you can call for help? I would email to whoever is giving the class and find out when they might be available for a chat. Asking questions makes you smart, not dumb ok?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:98388
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.