Agnostic.com

24 5

What is probably one of the most stupidest superstitions you’ve ever heard?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My dad is a jehovah witness, who believes he will be United with his recently deceased wife during the resurrection. Year ago he remarried. During the time he was contemplating remarrying he asked the elders about his ex wife. They said if he decided to remarry God would erase her memories so she would not come looking for him, and he could be happy with his new wife......smdh. He believes that shit to the core. He remarried in Jan 2018, and has struggled with his new relationships daily. I wonder if he wants her memories erased now instead of his ex wife. Lmao

Wow that's crazy

Phew. Just ... wow. I'm speechless. That is just sad.

So his God works for the MIB? Agent G. Makes perfect sense now... Some poor alien visits Earth 2000+ years ago and gets a young Jewish girl pregnant through osmosis and has to hide out until his ride shows up to take him home... Gonna be here awhile, gotta eat while he waits, better get a job and make the best of it... Probably worked on clerical for most of it, until being promoted to field agent on clean-up duty... Hence the neurolizer training...

Yeah, like my theory is so much more far fetched... lol

I know, when he starts talking about it I can't keep a straight face he gets mad, and hit me with the jehovah God routine, and I need to come to the hall. Lmao

Must be difficult for you. It's hard being around people that have such a different life view to yourself. Hope you have some good friends that are a bit more on your wavelength.

@girlwithsmiles luckily I didn't have to deal with him and the nonsense until I was 17. I was 14 when I told my mom I wasn't sure I believed in God ( christian). She still forced me to go until 16/17 but I didn't have to participate in activities anymore. She encouraged me to find the my own way. She doesn't agree with me but she has always supported me. My friends, close friends only a handful are on the same page, but this site had def helped with that.

@blackdawn250 yes, I can relate to that, even though I'm an old bird 😉 this site's great for open discussions and as a sounding board for ideas.

Black cat crossing your path..I always had and still have multiple black cats..never gave me bad luck

Friday the 13th...

I intentionally make it a good luck day.

My birthday is on October 13. So it sometimes falls on a Friday. It’s always a good day for me. It’s my favorite day for my birthday to fall on.

If your hands itch, you're about to receive lots of money!

Lol I should have received lots of money long ago on that case then! Hahaha!!!

Organised religion.

Religions! They all start as superstition.They are superstition on steroids.

Honestly, all of them are stupid.

7 years bad luck for mirrors and things. I was clumsy as I child and super depressed so i wondered if this was why.

The Christian god tortured his only son to death because he loves us. On, and his mom was a virgin. Oh, and non-believers are condemned to eternity in hell. Oh, and the bible is the literal, true, inerrant word of god.Oh, and.......sorry, I get carried away.

Follow a horoscope...

That someone is going to die if a bird flies in your house.... uhm We ALL die??? Eventually? LOL SMH @ idjits

Oh, that's ok then, ours only get in because the cat has their heads in her mouth!

@girlwithsmiles And that is why cats belong indoors.

@Qualia I live in a share house and am not in a position to dictate to my house mate; but I read a study, (by a bird man), that said domestic cats can only catch the weak and damaged animals usually, and do not have any serious impact on native wildlife in the UK. I'd only have an indoor or cat run cat in Aus. that's for sure.

All of them apart from walking under a ladder as that just isn't a superstition.

A horse shoe for luck. I have one in my garden, btw. My total failure ever to win anything in a lottery would rather suggest there is little merit in this belief.

Ah yep. Me too!!

If there is a horseshoe in my garden, it means there has been a horse in my garden and it has lost a shoe...

black cat, spilled salt... all superstitions are flawed...

DON!T STEP ON A CRACK IT WILL BREAK MOTHERSBACK.Sorry for caps didn,t realize it was on.

All of them.

That the number of magpies you see will determine your luck/childbearing.... I mean, come on now — where are the poor bloody birds meant to hang out?

I have never heard this one. I've seen many a magpie in my life time and had only one child. The luck aspect is pretty accurate though. Those damn magpies!!!!

There's a rhyme that goes with it:

One for sorrow, two for mirth,
Three a marriage, four a birth

Or... One for sorrow, two for joy,
Three a girl, four a boy.

Never to walk under a ladder...breaking a mirror means 7 years bad luck, and never ever cross 2 knives together at the table...ever.

Hauntings, this sticks out because it was discussed just the other day.

All of them, (unless they have hidden health benefits), but old habits die hard!

7 years good luck if you break a jewess's virgin, I forgot that one. Must be because they hard to find ?

Covering Mirrors during a lightning storm !

WTH??? THAT'S a thing???

@Qualia
Yip, My late mother used to go around covering all mirrors in the house when the lightening started !

@VAL3941 😮 😮 😮 OMG!!!!

I guess I should be glad my Mom only tried to get me to eat black eyed peas on new years????!!!

@Qualia
Yip, the old people had queer ideas !

@VAL3941 I'd NEVER heard of the mirror one! LOL

@Qualia
This is South Africa ! Maybe there were no mirrors in America in those days ? LMAO

@VAL3941 LOL!!!

13 anything followed by 666

prayer

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:98520
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.