Agnostic.com

5 3

Your thoughts on today's 7-2 Supreme Court decision in favor of Colorado baker in same-sex wedding cake case?

What on your thoughts concerning today's 7-2 decision where the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in favor of the Colorado baker in the same-sex wedding cake case?

To use a sports analogy, I think they punted the ball.

[npr.org]

Falsifiable1 5 June 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think the judges voted on one side of the case, the freedom to refuse and not be forced to make the cake against his will.
Part two will be a same-sex couple suing the baker for infringing on the couples civil rights. That will set the stage for the religious card vs the civil rights card.
The Supreme Court will have to decide which side carries more weight legally.

I think it's laughable that the supreme court of the United States is involved in this type of "case".

Simples: IMHO No religious belief should be able to limit, otherwise restrict or cause to be adapted the wishes, beliefs or freedoms of any other party not sharing the belief. its the 'thin end of the wedge' thing: Today i won't bake you a cake, but tomorrow, if you let me get away with that, i won't let you ride in my ambulance because you are not a (insert religion here)? Human rights are absolutes: The right to your cake is the same as your right to ride.

All cakes are equal free the cakes supreme judges????? what t f

Exactly

Its a very narrow decision based on one of the justices in the lower court being biased. They avoided answering the bigger questions.

I definitely agree their avoidance of dealing with the real issue. Frustrating.

@Falsifiable1 If I remember correctly, the U.S. Supreme Court can only rule on the questions of law presented to it. This case was about can a person be forced to do something against his will. I don't think there was a question of the same-sex couples civil liberties or human rights being infringed upon. That will be part two of this decision and will be made according to law, not ethics. I hope for an equitable decision but I'm not holding my breath.

@MacTavish "This case was about can a person be forced to do something against his will." Are you sure about that, because the final decision seemed did not seem to weigh in on that in particular, but instead on how the process was followed and the comments made by the baker's opposition.

@Falsifiable1 Ah OK, they went with mistakes made by the lower court's ruling. Isn't that the only way it makes it up to the US Supreme Court? It's been a few years (decades) since Constitutional Law classes at the university.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:99225
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.