Agnostic.com

6 1

Dating believers

I’d love to hear your thoughts on the viability of dating believers. Has anyone had a good experience? Does it add passion? Is it even possible?

Lilie 6 Dec 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If they're casual in their faith and you're not necessarily expecting great things from the relationship it can be just fine. If they're a holy roller then definitely not!

My ex has been a believer since high school and from suburban Houston, I was from the Washington DC area, so we started with cultural differences, then we originally met over the commonality of working with youth (I coached quiz bowl, she was an adult Young Life volunteer.)

We compromising on church for a long time rather than have the once and for all, in-or-out conversation , I'd go to a Methodist church with her even though I had doubts because she knew she couldn't sell me on her Dallas-area megachurch, then we found a Methodist church in Wisconsin that had a Progressive Christianity class group that allowed me to at least have a space where I could express some doubts, and most of the sermons didn't take the Bible as literally as other religions. However, a combination of other issues regarding personalities, a transfer to Grand Rapids, and some deeper problems in communication led to me going back to questioning faith altogether, although the night we finally decided to split up, she did say that she wondered if I ever really believed.

This all happened over the course of 15 years, so there was a lot of effort that went into trying to make it work.

"L" and me lasted about 7 years, she was and is a christian scientist, second reader, sunday teacher, director of sunday school and everything else, was raised in a family of christian scientists. I didn't mind going to service with her the few times I did. On festivities I attended their Thanksgiving, etc. She was a Pro Ballroom Dancer and Teacher. Dancing was what got us together. And still if opportunity arise when I am in town we go dancing. We still argue in the car as if we were a couple. The chemistry between us have not changed, Love making was great and very unreligious. It is possible if you and the religious partner Really Try. She Never Tried to Convert me.

I do not think it is possible. Eventually you will come to a cross roads. I dated a girl for about a year that was christian it went okay for awhile. In a religious persons life god comes first. I did not like nor feel comfortable with a mythological being having more value than me.

It is possible, even theist/atheist marriages can work, there are success stories out there. it completely depends on the individuals and how they overcome their differences. my advice if undertaking this, based on my personal experience is to not avoid the subject, talk about it. It is possible to respect the person but not the beliefs.

Dav87 Level 6 Dec 23, 2017

I can’t stand hearing the “I don’t think you really are an atheist” line!

Lilie Level 6 Dec 23, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:9950
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.