Agnostic.com

13 10

Do you give peanutbutter to your dog?

I found this message on how peanutbutter can hurt your pet chocolate is a poison too.

not all peanut butter is safe for pets, and all dog owners should know about this potentially deadly ingredient. Xylitol, a sweetener used in many foods, including peanut butter, yogurt, toothpaste and chewing gum, is safe for humans but potentially deadly for dogs.Nov 11, 2015

BucketlistBob 8 June 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Organic peanut butter is fine in moderation..and my one dog got into a brand new jar once and licked it clean..he's still alive..and 11 years old now

Excellent stuff, especially the chunky kind, for slipping them pills without fuss. Not toxic! Unless you five them a half-cup instead of a teaspoonful, then, a lot of salt, sugar, etc, depending on brand.

Thanks

NO!!!! I never did, well my girl is severely allergic for one but besides that peanut butter is a legume, along with the fact that xylitol is starting to be added to damn near everything. I give our dogs treats with great hesistancy even after reading a label because see here's a problem with XYLITOL.... it's considered a "natural" sweetner!!!!
I even quit buying gum because of this shite. One of our dogs loves halls losenges apparently so I take no chances.

Most of the treats I give ours are home made of various meat, beef heart being a favorite.

But.... not all chocolate is deadly. It depends on the type, besides any potential xylitol, if it's dark chocolate & how much per lb of the dog has been ingested. There are "chocolate" charts out there. I only keep dark around most of the time so am very careful. Even still, it wouldn't be enough to kill my dogs as they're larger.
There are literally tons of things out there that aren't good to give dogs, grapes, onions, the list is endless.
It's much easier for me to say what is safe, than what's not. Dogs will eat all kinds of bleep that isn't good for them & will wind up with a trip to the e-vet.

One of our dogs counter surfed a bag of doritos. NO ONE WOULD HAVE KNOWN if it hadn't been for my husband catching him in the act. He left the bag perfectly upright after eating 1/2 of it. So off to the e-vet we went as the sodium content, garlic & onion powder and gawd knows what else was not safe to sit & wait.... Since both our dogs are now wise to the peroxide treatment we've no choice but to run to the e vet for a vomit shot. (They will stand there and hold their guts trying to avoid puking, often with great success but not without looking miserable)

The Dorito incident saw us there with the boy being given a vomit shot & copious amounts of liquid/gel charcoal. BOY THAT WAS FUN! NOT! Too much sodium per lb is also dangerous.

No xylitol in any peanut butter I have ever seen....

@AnneWimsey it must be a thing tho. I'm not even sure it has to be listed since it's "natural".

Thanks for this. The problem with chocolate is the caffeine....it stimulates their hearts and can cause death. (Having their stomachs pumped gets very expensive....ASK ME HOW I KNOW!) Anyhow, I use Trader Joe's p.b. and a little bit every now & then hasn't hurt my Lucy.

I only buy the "natural" stuff, three ingredients: peanuts, peanut oil, salt. It's runny, and a PITA to emulsify a new jar, but I like having zero added sugar and no palm oil.

My dog loves PB. I inadvertantly turned her into a PB junkie by giving her a course of antibiotics with it. Now she eyeforks me hard whenever I eat PB...

the problem is tho that "xylitol" is considered natural.

@Qualia I don't shop for "natural" on the label. I read ingredients lists. I just worded it that way.

I understand the use of "natural" is problematic because it's used and abused as a selling point and out and out marketing ploy, stretched to dishonest proportions...like many other marketing ploys.

I also understand that a general lack of critical thinking underlies the success of many such marketing ploys, e.g. people being taken in by "natural" products because they fail to read labels, do research, consider, etc.

There's a balance point in there somewhere. No matter where it's found, it certainly can't hurt to inculcate more critical and analytical thinking in our society as a whole.

@stinkeye_a No I had no idea xylitol wasn't an artificial sweetener until a health food store employee overheard me being concerned for my husband while shopping vitamins etc, who at the time was undergoing chemo.

It shocked me a great deal at the time. Not trying to "splain" you , just saying.

Also it's cruel.

good info!

only way my cairn will take her meds.

only way my cairn will take her meds.

make or buy a pill pocket or cover pills with coconut oil & pop them down. That said she's your dog so whatever you're comfortable with.

@Qualia she eats pill pockets and spits the pills out. This dog is old and experienced.

@Sherri-VT That's some mad skills! Easier on a dog with a bigger mouth I imagine. 🙂 I'd be trying to crush what I could in that case.

@Qualia My dog has to take medication three times a day, three to four pills at each administration. He has become the king of avoiding his meds. He can tuck them in his cheek, eat a treat, then to into another room and spit the pills. I sometimes use peanut butter mixed with rice to make a ball. He won't touch pill pockets. But he loves ham. I use thin deli slices. They probably have too much salt, but he doesn't have much time left and I would rather he be comfortable. (He's big enough to counter surf anywhere in the kitchen and has been known to eat an entire fruitcake and an entire bag of chocolate kisses without any GI problems -- just lots of really colorful poop on the snow in the yard,)

@ladyprof70 LOL I have a cake thief so relate all too well. Idk what the solution is other than to crush the crushable. I do have an accomplished pill spitter so he gets his slicked with coconut oil & if really determined to get that pill down will add no salt broth I save from boiled treats to push those suckers down.

No Fido! It's not yours!

I tried she doesn't like it.

It is a rare dog that doesn't like peanut butter!

I met a dog the other day that goes crazy for salad. Plain lettuce, tomato, cucumber. Silly dogs!! ?

@AdorkableMe Mine lose their minds over celery etc. They know what the bag sounds like LOL
They also think they want lemons. Wish i'd video taped that before they got wise. The expressions were priceless.

@AdorkableMe I might have to try again, I put it in a Kong. Might have to put it in her bowl.

@Qualia Hahaha. My aunts dog goes crazy for salad or just lettuce. He loves tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, celery, pretty much any vegetable he can have. Crazy little dog!!

Nope.
But he likes beer.
The good stuff. Not that American made "light" swill.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:99590
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.