Agnostic.com

10 6

Is Reality a Scientific Concept?

Our language, for the most part, was built before science was invented, so it is primarily reflective of an experiential world rather than a scientifically objective world. When we speak about reality, most of us are referring to the world as we experience it. So conversations about what is real tend to get really tangled up in semantics. Maybe we should designate a word like verity, or actuality, or even create a new word altogether that refers to objective reality, so discussions about reality aren't so frustrating.

The concept of a truly objective reality seems to be foreign to our natural thought processes. I run into lots of people who deny that an objective world even exists, but I would argue that, even if it doesn't, the concept is still a useful abstraction.

What does "reality" mean to you? When you use the word, are you referring to your reality, or the one we all share?

skado 9 June 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"I run into lots of people who deny that an objective world even exists, but I would argue that, even if it doesn't, the concept is still a useful abstraction."

I especially like this bit.

Edit: The concept of reality has been around a lot longer than science has, hopefully that addresses your title question.

Reality can be tested by science and falsified.

There is the reality everyone I know agrees exists, the table top is hard, we must wall around the wall not thru it. But sometimes I think the world I see is an illusion, only real cause I think it's real. I try to think germs are not real but the last cold I had kicked my fuckin' ass. Um so the germs must be 'real'. . . . .
In deep meditation my body is weightless and only my mind is real, I wish to stay there for ever but then I really want a cup of coffee.

You bring up a very good point, and one I've been touting form some time.
While I could argue with your initial comment, I think the grander concept of Language; meant to be a useful tool, but can sometimes be its own barrier, is the more important issue here.
Perhaps English is unique, or perhaps it's all languages, but the ambiguity and over-use of some terms can be very counterproductive, to say nothing of words that have multiple meanings and/or pronunciations.

Reality is certainly subjective, and while two people may potentially be able to occupy the same reality for some amount of time, I suspect that a person and... say a dog, never could... not really. People can observe the same thing at the same time, but often even then, they don't interpret what they see as the same. A person and a dog observing the same thing will absolutely not interpret what they see as the same. That doesn't make the dog's reality any less 'real' only different.
People, Dogs, Cats... worms... ants, butterflies... trees, flowers.
Do trees and flowers even have 'realities'?? I suspect they do and that they are most likely not anything I can even hope to imagine.

Through consciousness I experience SOMETHING, but I’m sure that I don’t know what it is.To call it the world or the universe seems inadequate. Frankly, I am bewildered by the whole thing.

Donald Hoffman’s “Conscious Realism “ seems to resonate somehow. In any event, the implications of existence are staggering.

New Scientist posted a definition i really liked: "WHAT DO we actually mean by reality? A straightforward answer is that it means everything that appears to our five senses – everything that we can see, smell, touch and so forth. Yet this answer ignores such problematic entities as electrons, the recession and the number 5, which we cannot sense but which are very real. It also ignores phantom limbs and illusory smells. Both can appear vividly real, but we would like to say that these are not part of reality." Read more....

I think reality is different for all of us.We experience ourselves and others in such a multiplicity of ways, and change when our world view is challenged it almost seems that there is no such thing as a universal truth - I quite like that idea I can live in a world of my own making - destroy concepts of gods etc. be the author of my own undoing etc.

You've cut to the core here, Skado.
It seems (to me) that we really do experience 'reality' from our own personal centers.
And, words are fraught with our own history, thus we don't even mean the same thing with any given word.
Inventing words might help, but being humans, we'd soon begin fiddling with all parts of each one, lol, then be back to square one.
In any case, like rainmanjr insinuated, we must deal with our shared existence enough to grab the good stuff, like deserts and love.

Reality is infinite space that always been here. The matter in that space is always changing, forming everything from galaxies to DNA strands.

gater Level 7 June 5, 2018

I’m in agreement with Groucho on this: “I don’t believe in reality but, on the whole, it’s still the best place to get a good meal.”

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:99734
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.