Agnostic.com

7 8

LINK Neil DeGrasse Tyson: Science Favors Big Bang Over Jesus

Science is not a belief it's observations - assumptions.
Thinking the Universe makes any kind of sense is an illusion.

Lukian 8 June 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

He is still my hero atheist/scientest..... Just cause he played with some girl proves him normal to me...

The laws of physics make sense in the universe. Then along comes quantum just to blow our minds ?

The Big Bang Theory was formulated by Msgr. Georges Lemaître, a Catholic priest.

nice trivia!

And the scientist Fred Hoyle named it as such.

Just shows what a Jesuit education can produce! 😮

@Geoffrey51 Hoyle was educated by Jesuits? An interesting book is How The Catholic Church Built Western Civilization by Thomas E. Woods [amazon.com]

There have been bad episodes in the Catholic Church. Given 2000 years and billions of people that is inevitable. But I believe the net effect has been positive. Not only for general well being but also for scientific progress.

Galileo was taught reading, writing and arithmetic by Catholic priests. He attended and worked at a university built by a pope. He did some of his most important work during his house arrest (essentially a paid vacation). Without the Catholic Church there would have been no Galileo.

@HopDavid No Lemaitre was a Jesuit scholar. I am sure Hoyle would have been Oxbridge. I totally agree about medieval education. Created some brilliant theological minds encouraged to study God's creation. Then of course the Enlighrenment takes over the baton. Not forgetting Mendel, an Augustinian monk I think in C19 of course and his peas opening up the door for the study of heredity and ultimately genetics.

What does Jesus have to do with it? the bible doesn't say that Jesus created the universe, it says that god did it. Where does it say that belief in Jesus and the Big Bang are mutually exclusive? Religion is full of paradoxes and contradictions enough without having to make up even more.

read up on the The Christian doctrine of the Trinity holds that God is one but three coeternal consubstantial persons or hypostases—the Father, the Son (Jesus Christ), and the Holy Spirit.
[en.wikipedia.org]

@Lukian not a good response for this site sir, nobody is interested in your referral to Christian doctrine

@magicwatch I really hope that's irony?

@Lukian irony is lost on the ignorant, but can't remember who said that quote ?

Sorry Pip I think I missed a bit somewhere. I don't think anyone mentioned Jesus and creating the universe as that is Christian doctrine. Probably a bit of a no go area here!?

@Lukian The whole religion bullshit is bullshit.

Absolutely correct.

Some evangelists heads just had a big bang.

godef Level 7 June 5, 2018

Neither is religion.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:99807
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.