Agnostic.com

17 1

When to tell children we don’t all believe in God

I have a small army of nieces and nephews. We have no kids of our own by choice, I am 53. Lately a few of them have started spewing God smack like their God is the only one, they are clueless of other beliefs, and or no religious beliefs. How long should I blow it off? At what age do you just tell the truth or at least open their eyes to the big picture?

WillLucas1 3 June 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A sure fire way to ensure that you never see your nieces and nephews again is to contradict their parents. It's not your place to begin with and so you have to decide what's more important - getting to see them or passing on your sense of truth. And this is where the hypocrisy among atheists reeks. Just a week or so ago the reverse question was asked - how should an atheist parent react if the grandparents are trying to pass on their "faith" or a simple wooden cross. And the response was almost universal - "they'd never see them again". But for some reason when the reverse comes up - the rule doesn't apply to atheists who want to direct children that aren't theirs into a different direction than the parents. The simple rule should be this - if it's not your kid - keep your mouth shut until they're adults and come seeking your advice.

I admit some of the replies on this thread are far better and respectful then I. When my Grandson broched the subject with all due passion and ferver as he was being taught I simply told him (and he was 6 or 7) That god was a nice fairy tale for people who can't handle reality. He knows where I stand even now (13) and he disagrees just like they taught him.

As soon as they ask.

Keep it real, baby. Most times after that they won't broach the subject.

Kids should never be lied to. Religious parents use Gods to control and manipulate their children which is abuse. If you lie to kids at an early age and force them to accept your believes and find out later it was bullshit, you've created a situation where a positive relationship can't be achieved. So, when they ask tell them the truth.

dld73 Level 4 June 7, 2018

When to tell children may depend on the relationship you have or not with parents. My desire is to tell them as soon as they mention God or gods. Same rule for astrology, ghosts, and conspiracies.

I told my grandson I didn’t believe in god (age 8) cuz of a question he asked me. He cried and sobbed and when he could finally talk said it’s like we weren’t living for any reason without god. I told him that I didn’t tell him there was no god, just that I didn’t believe in one and that he could certainly believe what he wanted. He asked me about prayer and I said my meditation was like prayer. He knows about that cuz they do it in school. Two weeks later he told me he had been thinking about it and he probably doesn’t believe in god but wouldn’t tell his parents cuz they’d be sad. Then he gave me so many of my own reasons which I had never shared with him and I was so proud how smart he is! Then his sis, my granddaughter, said she never really believed in god but likes church cuz it’s fun.

Many years ago, I used to babysit my nephews, my religious brother-in-law's kids. One day the 4 year old said, "I think God lives in the sky, do you think that too?" and I replied, "I think something different, but you should talk to your mommy and daddy if you have questions about God." And that was the end of that.

That's all I said. I did not want to overstep my role - I didn't say I didn't believe in God at all - even though I was totally atheist by then. I didn't want to interfere with the way the parents were raising them. (Just as I didn't appreciate my neighbors telling my kids that I was lying to them - that there really is a god - and I'm going to Hell... that's another story.)

Next day, I was "fired" from babysitting my nephews and I never saw them again. My brother in law called to tell me they didn't want their kids to know there were people who believed differently. Okay... they knew I was atheist when they asked me to watch their kids 5 days a week. I'm sure they know there are other religions now, but the parents were very protective of their faith when the kids were under 5 years old.

Seems to be a pretty flimsy faith that can't stand up to scrutiny or comparison to other religions. I would talk to the parents, if I were you.

My attitude in this situation is, if I had kids, I wouldn't want my religious family members influencing my kids with their beliefs. Likewise I shouldn't try to influence their kids with my lack of belief. That doesn't mean I don't answer their questions honestly if they ask, but I won't go out of my way to "open their eyes."

Now, I may let my family know that their kids have been asking me questions....or even if they haven't, I would express my concern with what their kids are saying. Now how forceful I would be, or the tact I would take, would all depend on the current relationship we have, and the kind of relationship I want to continue having with them.

I have broached the subject by saying, "Well, that is certainly what some people believe, but not everyone, myself included, believes that way. Some people don't believe there was ever a God and others have not made up their minds. It's something everyone has to decide for them self someday. "

If they broached the subject I’d give my opinion straight out. The heck with the parents. Children are not fragile.

@MarvelAnn I do not advocate trying to indoctrinate anyone’s children. All I’m saying is that I would give my personal opinion on the matter the same as if I were talking to adults. After all, the children expressed their opinion. I do not believe in sensitive subjects that should not be broached to children. The parents do not own those children. They will be hearing all manner of things as they advance through school.

BTW, in that I am not atheist or agnostic, my opinion would include some concept of a universal consciousness.

When they bring it up say, "That's nice. Not everyone agrees, including me." If they ask, explain your POV.

Maybe you could try approaching your brother or sister. You could point out the benefits of letting the children pursue their own spirituality.

Unless you want to lose all contact with your nieces and nephews, it would not be a good idea to do that without their parent's permission. It would be best to wait until they ask you questions since I'm sure they will eventually realize you don't have the same beliefs as their parents.

I’m a believer. I tell my children all the time that not everyone believes as I do and that it’s ok if they don’t.

When they start to talk about god tell them that they need to talk about that with there parents. Its not polite to talk about about religion or politics in public. If they do not take the hint tell them that others do not all ways belive as they do. If your comfortable telling them you are Atheist do so. The faster they learn politeness around others then better humans they will be.

Have a discussion with their parents. Be polite about it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:99960
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.