Agnostic.com
10 12

I rescue adopted an adult female cat two weeks ago. She was very affectionate at the shelter, but only comes out from hiding to eat or use the litter box in my home. Anybody know how long it will take for her to feel more comfortable? I have seen her watching my aquariums a few times, but she runs and hides if I enter the room. I'll post some photos if she ever comes out.

Dave375 6 Nov 20
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Approach her on your belly, eyes half closed, not looking at her.

Druvius Level 8 Nov 20, 2022

Isn't that what snakes do?

@PondartIncbendog [sciencealert.com]

You're correct. I've often befriended otherwise unapproachable community cats by getting down on the ground, on my side or back actually. It's about body language which they read very well and depend on almost exclusively. Soft voice recognition is a close second.

I adopted a feral cat. Ignored her for about three weeks. One night she peeked over the couch and jumped in my lap. It just takes time.

6-8 weeks, she has been through A Lot.
You sitting quietly will be less stressful, on a nearby couch if possible.....trying to coax her or interact with her will be extremely counterproductive!

AnneWimsey Level 9 Nov 20, 2022

Good on you. Patience.

Mooolah Level 8 Nov 20, 2022

Make her a soft bed inside a cardboard box, open on one side. Slowly and gently hand feed her some treats while she's in her bed. Try to pet her a little at a time. She'll come around soon. Good luck.

OldGoat43 Level 9 Nov 20, 2022

Good for you for taking a rescue cat. Sometimes they do come with lots of baggage. Be patient with her, she is mourning the loss of her babies, and as others have said decompressing.

Congratulations, and I look forward to seeing your photos of her! What's her name?

She's had at least a couple of upsets in her environment that we know of, and it's hard to say what happened on the streets, so it must be rough on her to wonder what changes are being forced on her now, and what others are to come. I'm sure your patience will be rewarded with the positive reinforcement methods everyone's suggested.

Lauren Level 8 Nov 20, 2022

The shelter had named her Madison. I haven't thought of another name yet.

MizJ's suggestion with a bit of catnip rubbed in. Also if you have it a red laser dot flicking around the room from outside may get her curiosity working. Let her know you are the one feeding her. If she likes fish I've found that dried anchovies from the Asian food store are a great tempter with most cats. If not fish dry some chicken breast cut into very small pieces into chicken jerky - 80°C in the oven or air fryer for a couple - three hours should do it or if you're wealthy $40-60 kilo.

FrayedBear Level 9 Nov 20, 2022

Her curiosity will kick in, hard to say when. You could put items of clothing you have worn close to her hiding place so she knows your scent, be careful not to frighten her. The shelter was likely traumatic and she is healing.

MizJ Level 8 Nov 20, 2022

It depends on her Age, History and Memories, it's much faster and easier with kittens.
Try to make a logical connection between your presence and her food to her and be patient.
how old is she ?!

Diaco Level 7 Nov 20, 2022

She is 1.5 years. She was found outdoors with a litter of kittens. I'm being patient and talking to her in a gentle voice when I do see her, avoiding direct eye contact.

@Dave375 So it's completely normal, perhaps will take a month or so. you will see her trust and being around but be patient to pet her, let her to come for you.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 36

Photos 9,044 More

Posted by RobertNappi2Monday morning cuteness

Posted by RobertNappi2Sunday morning cuteness

Posted by RobertNappi2Saturday morning cuteness

Posted by RobertNappi2Friday morning cuteness

Posted by RobertNappi2Thursday morning cuteness

Posted by RobertNappi2Wednesday morning cuteness

Posted by RobertNappi2Tuesday morning cuteness

Posted by RobertNappi2Monday morning cuteness

Posted by RobertNappi2Saturday morning cuteness

Posted by RobertNappi2Friday morning cuteness

Posted by RobertNappi2Thursday morning cuteness

Posted by Lilac-JadeCanadaFriendly question.....

Posted by RobertNappi2Tuesday morning cuteness

Posted by RobertNappi2Monday morning cuteness...

Posted by RobertNappi2Sunday morning cuteness...Mini me

Posted by KilltheskyfairyCats, my rotting support animals!

• Top tags#cats #video #god #friends #world #dogs #religion #religious #hope #Friday #animals #reason #Atheist #kids #book #money #humans #sleep #hell #church #sex #loves #relationship #mother #parents #DonaldTrump #evidence #community #youtube #atheism #children #society #Bible #memes #truth #movies #fear #belief #pets #wife #coffee #Jesus #death #laws #faith #beliefs #Song #rescue #books #earth ...

Members 1,539Top