Agnostic.com
13 6

Why do most people crave attention?

Unity 7 Mar 27
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

To make up for feelings of inadequacy

bobwjr Level 10 Apr 11, 2021

Maybe it's a lack on their part of self-awareness and consideration of others' reactions. Maybe they just don't give a rat's ass. If they did, they would shut up when they see me zoning out and edging away. But they're just on stage all the time telling you a life story you never wanted to hear..

Insecurity

bobwjr Level 10 Mar 28, 2021

I truly do not understand why. I have no inclination , will often feel embarassed if given attention in a large setting. As an example ,here is a group of teachers who dress up every Friday to greet students. They will often be 5-10 minutes late to their duty (15 minutes long) in order to complete their outfits. Then they post their pictures all over Facebook. Don't get it.

NHjulie Level 8 Mar 28, 2021

I'm guessing most people crave attention due to an Innate survival technique related to the desire for food and subsequent clean up.

Some people can get really "look at me" but I've toned it way down for this website on the advice of my psychiatrist.

There is a range of traits that have proved useful.

Great question, given we are all one, Unity.

Because they can!!!

Too too many think they deserve attention, warranted or not!!!

Most value themselves according to how they think others see them . Captain of the football team gets a lot of positive attention and dates the head of the cheer leaders . Kid delivering papers gets little to no attention and may be considered a looser . Can't get a date for the Prom .

Cast1es Level 9 Mar 27, 2021

I give up.
Why?

I asked the question to get a better understanding of a desire that I have very little of.

@Unity I don’t understand my species. On the freeway I drive slow or fast to avoid clusters of cars that keep flocking with my vehicle. I refuse to go to crowd drawing events. I was going to force myself to attend Pride in 2020. This upset the Universe so much it found a way to keep me home.

@Willow_Wisp i get that. I don't even like it when someone drives the same speed as me in the next lane and I'm stuck behind a truck. Mobile claustrophobia!

@Unity I'm with you on that. When my friends are planning a party, they always say, we know you won't come, but just in case... Because they know that I always want to be invited. I just don't want to go. Parties require participation, and I try to keep my profile so low I'm almost invisible 🙂

I used to tell my China students that America is so enamored with stars, celebrities, entertainments that we are a kind of performance society. Stage savvy and the attention we get is a very desirable factor in our self-image.

Possibly for the same reason you felt the need to post that question

What would that be?

@Unity
You don't know?
Well I would guess the need to interact, but I am certain you know why you post, for me to claim to know your mind better than you do would simply be gross temerity on my part.

Rather than a negative problem (loneliness, etc) it seems like a normal human need. A baby’s cry for instance. Some people need less than others. There are also extremes on either end of the spectrum. Some people crave too much attention and some avoid it so much they cannot leave their homes.

To be desired, accepted, and loved. Some people require it from only a few, but some need the approval of many people, or even everyone they meet. Don't you think so?

Lauren Level 8 Mar 27, 2021

Loneliness?
Low self-esteem?

K8TE Level 5 Mar 27, 2021
Write Comment

Recent Visitors 40

Photos 850 More

Posted by KilltheskyfairyIntroverts. Creatures of the Night!

Posted by KilltheskyfairyDon’t ring my doorbell!

Posted by KilltheskyfairyThe face helps…

Posted by KilltheskyfairyThe face helps…

Posted by FrostyJim...I have a lifetime membership.

Posted by KilltheskyfairyAnd yet I thrive…

Posted by KilltheskyfairyAnd yet I thrive…

Posted by KilltheskyfairyWell, that deteriorated quickly…

Posted by FrostyJim...I know how he feels!

Posted by KilltheskyfairyAlmost always for sure…

• Top tags#friends #video #world #god #religion #hello #religious #hell #hope #relationship #Atheist #anxiety #money #reason #cats #truth #book #kids #dogs #introvert #Bible #children #humans #church #memes #fear #lonely #guns #wife #books #mother #Song #beliefs #laws #community #animals #sleep #Christian #Friday #movies #media #TheTruth #DonaldTrump #advice #faith #sex #parents #evidence #belief #coffee ...

Members 1,992Top

Moderators