Agnostic.com
3 13

I know I have a number of Eucomis comosa 'Burgundy Sparkler' and some more 'Oakhurst' [shown in the photos] which look quite a bit alike. So I googled to see how I might tell them apart and found this discussion from a British nursery calld Tropical Britain}

"Eucomis comosa 'Oakhurst' is a selected purple-leaved form of the large-leaved type species which is endemic to the Eastern Cape Province in South Africa. Eucomis ‘Oakhurst’ was introduced by Terra Nova Nurseries. It was selected as one of 16 winners of the 2009 North Texas Winner's Circle Award.

Is this purple-leaved form different from Eucomis comosa 'Sparkling Burgundy' which was selected as a seedling in 1983 by Tony Avent's Plant Delights Nursery? Hmmm...that's an interesting question...

We have grown 'Oakhurst' and 'Sparkling Burgundy' side by side for several years now to compare the differences...for the clones we have, we don't find much difference in the foliage...both starting purple and slowly fading to green as the summer progresses...but as the flowers open it is clear that 'Oakhurst' is paler, more greenish on the petals with 'Sparkling Burgundy having more of a mauve flush to the flowers...and with darker purple stems....

Some people have found that 'Oakhurst' keeps its purple colouration longer and that 'Oakhurst' doesn't grow as tall. We have not found this to be the case: 'Oakhurst' is certainly capable of growing as large as 'Sparkling Burgundy' if given the space and the foliage on both our cultivars tend to be more green than purple by mid-July.

So, with the clones we have, the main difference is in the flowers: slightly greener with 'Oakhurst'...slightly more mauve with 'Sparkling Burgundy'...

The story goes that the plant from which 'Oakhurst' was cloned was discovered growing in a San Diego nursery...

Whatever its origins, the form that we sell does have the slight differences we mention. Both cultivars are worth growing. The dramatic impact their colour and large size have in the garden is extraordinary."

MarkWD 7 July 24
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Very intricate and beautiful flowers.. ☺

Really pretty. Should show us a view from a little farther away. It looks like a silvery shrub on the back, most likely provides a nice texture along with the flowers.

Zoohome Level 8 July 24, 2020

I'm afraid this area is fairly new and I've been moving things in and out of that semicircular raised bed. But I'll get you a pic soon or else find one.

Here you go.

#1 was taken June 5, 2019 and the Eucomis are in that raised bed at the far right end amid a bunch of orange flowering Alstroemeria.

#2 was taken on May 20, 2019 from a position to the right of the bed, relative to the last photo.

#3 also taken on May 20 and shows t he lilies and Alstroemeria flowers in with the purple leaves of the Eucomis.

@MarkWD so pretty!!! I can't wait to get a home of my own again and play with my garden.

@Zoohome And I can't wait to see the pictures. I had every summer, winter and spring break while teaching for twenty five years to make my garden, though never came together completely until after retired. Will your work routines be compatible with the all important task of making your garden? 😉

@MarkWD I moved to Austin for a big work routine change. Now I believe I'll have a better garden quality life. 😃 not sure how long I'll be in this town, but with my own business, I do know I won't be moving any time soon.

@Zoohome Well, whenever it happens, don't feel rushed. Like slow cooking, I think slow garden design/build is the way to go for making ones own garden. I hope that works out for you. I hear Austin is probably the best place to be in Texas. True?

@MarkWD not sure if the best, but definitely hot and loaded with mosquitoes. Lol

Such a beautiful flower! The leaves are quite pretty as well.😉

Recent Visitors 28

Photos 5,325 More

Posted by JolantaUnusual fungi.

Posted by FernappleI am trying to grow some extra salad crops this year in the new greenhouse.

Posted by JolantaBugg life.

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by FrostyJimSeedlings ..

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

Posted by FrostyJim...don't be silly!

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by FrostyJimI usually drink coffee while planting seeds?

Posted by KilltheskyfairyI love all the information on the internet that makes me a better gardener…

Posted by Jaylo64Primative hydroponic system /an old shoe rack and coffee cans ! Cans above drip into the cans below !

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #cats #kids #book #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #sex #atheism #truth #Jesus #apple ...

Members 1,507Top