Agnostic.com
3 6

Sun Chokes. This is my big harvest this year. I did get a couple tomatoes before the heat made them stop producing, and my bell peppers had produced a few and have started up again now that the temperatures have fallen a bit, but these sun chokes really came through. The problem is that I discovered I don't really care for how they taste. Anyone have a good recipe for them?

I tried pulling them out last year but a few came back. I'm surprised at how many tubers there are judging from the number of plants that came back. I pulled these because the plants had all fallen over and started to wilt I assumed from the reduced temperature.

RussRAB 8 Oct 31
Share
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

1

Scrub well or peel (I do not peel) boil & treat like potatoes. (Another pretty tasteless thing without butter, bacon, cheese, sour cream, browning, etc etc)

AnneWimsey Level 9 Oct 31, 2021
2

Sorry, I grew one crop many years ago and discovered that I didn't like them at all. However, my small herd of goats loved them. Cut the sun-chokes up and give them away to the animals that like em.

OldGoat43 Level 9 Oct 31, 2021
3

Otherwise known as Jerusalem artichokes. My uncle used to grow these in Maryland. I've tried them here and they seemed OK. Often, they can become prolific and spread. I looked up a couple of recipes. Guess it just depends on your taste.
[abeautifulplate.com]
[seriouseats.com]

JackPedigo Level 9 Oct 31, 2021

Yes, mine had spread a lot in the few years I grew them. Another problem of them. I was also curious what their flowers looked like, but mine never bloomed. Thanks for the links.