Agnostic.com
4 7

Sun Chokes. This is my big harvest this year. I did get a couple tomatoes before the heat made them stop producing, and my bell peppers had produced a few and have started up again now that the temperatures have fallen a bit, but these sun chokes really came through. The problem is that I discovered I don't really care for how they taste. Anyone have a good recipe for them?

I tried pulling them out last year but a few came back. I'm surprised at how many tubers there are judging from the number of plants that came back. I pulled these because the plants had all fallen over and started to wilt I assumed from the reduced temperature.

RussRAB 8 Oct 31
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Scrub well or peel (I do not peel) boil & treat like potatoes. (Another pretty tasteless thing without butter, bacon, cheese, sour cream, browning, etc etc)

AnneWimsey Level 9 Oct 31, 2021

Sorry, I grew one crop many years ago and discovered that I didn't like them at all. However, my small herd of goats loved them. Cut the sun-chokes up and give them away to the animals that like em.

OldGoat43 Level 9 Oct 31, 2021

Dig them up NOW.

KateOahu Level 8 Oct 31, 2021

Otherwise known as Jerusalem artichokes. My uncle used to grow these in Maryland. I've tried them here and they seemed OK. Often, they can become prolific and spread. I looked up a couple of recipes. Guess it just depends on your taste.
[abeautifulplate.com]
[seriouseats.com]

JackPedigo Level 9 Oct 31, 2021

Yes, mine had spread a lot in the few years I grew them. Another problem of them. I was also curious what their flowers looked like, but mine never bloomed. Thanks for the links.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 21

Photos 5,337 More

Posted by FernappleIts foxglove (Digitalis ) time.

Posted by JolantaEarthworms are amazing workers.

Posted by JolantaLadybirds, the gardeners friend.

Posted by JolantaLacewings are useful in the garden.

Posted by FrostyJim...as you Sow, So Shall you Reap

Posted by FrostyJimSurprise! Alaska has farm country too.

Posted by FrostyJimSurprise! Alaska has farm country too.

Posted by JolantaHappy hormones.

Posted by FernappleThe little woodland garden, is a symphony of blue, purple and white now. Hyacinth, Honesty, and Ornithogalum.

Posted by KateOahuThis morning I went to a class for making a terrarium with native plants at the Waikiki Community Center, which is about three blocks from where I live.

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by JolantaUnusual fungi.

Posted by FernappleI am trying to grow some extra salad crops this year in the new greenhouse.

Posted by JolantaBugg life.

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #cats #kids #book #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #atheism #sex #truth #Jesus #DonaldTrump ...

Members 1,523Top