Agnostic.com
7 21

THE SKELETON FLOWER, WHOSE PETALS TURN FROM WHITE TO TRANSLUCENT WHEN IT RAINS.

The Skeleton flower (Diphylleia grayi) is a white woodland blossom flower with large, umbrella-like leaves that grows in moist, colder climates and wooded mountainsides and they are found in Japan, China and the Appalachian Mountains in the US. Indeed, the white petals turn glass-like when they get wet due to their loose cell struture and not because the pigments are being washed out. When it rains, water fills up the cells in the petals, hence turning clear. However, when the petals dry out, they turn back to their original white color. There's no conclusive research as to whether this characteristic is beneficial or a bad thing for these beautiful flowers.

How to Grow and Care for Skeleton Flower

Grow The Unique Skeleton Flower

Diaco 7 May 15
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Oooh, they would be happy here in PNW (zone 8), and I shall start checking with a couple good nurseries!!

amazing.

Mooolah Level 8 May 15, 2022

Do you grow these? Being in the desert, I could not.

KateOahu Level 8 May 15, 2022

Unfortunately Nope! just found them recently

I have never met with that one, it is truly beautiful, but sadly it sounds like it would not like my chalk soil.

Fernapple Level 9 May 15, 2022

What an amazing and beautiful flower! I didn’t know about it. Thanks for sharing!! 😍

Diaco Level 7 May 15, 2022

Thank you for this unique inforation .

Cast1es Level 9 May 15, 2022
Write Comment

Recent Visitors 28

Photos 5,327 More

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by JolantaUnusual fungi.

Posted by FernappleI am trying to grow some extra salad crops this year in the new greenhouse.

Posted by JolantaBugg life.

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by FrostyJimSeedlings ..

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

Posted by FrostyJim...don't be silly!

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by FrostyJimI usually drink coffee while planting seeds?

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #cats #kids #book #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #sex #atheism #truth #Jesus #apple ...

Members 1,508Top