Agnostic.com
7 12

I had a visitor early this morning, a Texas spiny lizard warming up on my steps. I'm pretty sure that this little guy has been munching on my dragon fruit, cactus and insects are fair game on their diet.

glennlab 10 July 30
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Wow, such beautiful markings!

They really blend in when they are hidden in the grass and leaves, The only time I see them is when they are sunning themselves, the rest of the time they stay hidden.

Used to catch these in New Mexico, we always let them go. They looked like dinosaurs.

They really are quite armored, I haven't seen any babies yet this year, but the geckos have already hatched.

He’s a little beauty! 😍

He's about 8 inches nose to tail, early in the spring he'll be out all day, now, he's only around early in the morning.

He looks quite well-fed and healthy.

SkagwayKim Level 7 July 30, 2022

Since I'm a declared sanctuary site, I don't use chemical poisons in my yard or garden, there are plenty of bugs, plus I see a munched out section of my dragon fruit about once a week.

I have one or two of those lizards around my house, but they are more of a brown color. I didn't know they might eat plants.

RussRAB Level 8 July 30, 2022

They don't eat much, but they have been leaving a crescent hole on the edges of the dragon fruit leaves, nothing serious.

We called them horned toads when I was a kid out west.

OldGoat43 Level 9 July 30, 2022

Horny toad, or horned lizards are a different species, they have a crown of spines behind their head. Horned lizards are considered endangered in TX and OK, The spiny lizard is not considered threatened. Horny toads feed on native fire ants, spiny lizards are omnivores.

When I first discovered the spiny lizard on my property, I did quite a bit of research to make sure that I wasn't doing anything to threaten their survival. It turned out that my landscaping practices were in line with what the lizards liked.

@glennlab . Sorry, you're right. When I looked closer at the photo I could see he didn't have the horns on the head and neck. Horny toads were very plentiful out in So Cal 70 years ago.

I "know" lizards are beneficial, however, I'm as close to it now as I ever want to be 🙂 and I know that isn't logical.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 25

Photos 5,322 More

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by FrostyJimSeedlings ..

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

Posted by FrostyJim...don't be silly!

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by FrostyJimI usually drink coffee while planting seeds?

Posted by KilltheskyfairyI love all the information on the internet that makes me a better gardener…

Posted by Jaylo64Primative hydroponic system /an old shoe rack and coffee cans ! Cans above drip into the cans below !

Posted by 1patriotOne of the main reasons for last year’s ‘spike’, which the media and government agencies have avoided mentioning, is the Hunga Tonga volcano eruption two years ago.

Posted by FrostyJim...sometimes you just can't help it?

Posted by FrostyJimI got my first seed order in the mail yesterday! WOO-HOO!

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #kids #book #cats #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #sex #atheism #truth #Jesus #apple ...

Members 1,505Top