Agnostic.com
9 2

Does anyone feel uncomfortable defining "transmen/transwomen" a different gender than "women/men" in the site's user interface?

In my opinion, it seems to imply that transgender people are not of the same gender as their cisgender counterparts -- which is both factually untrue, and invalidating. Thus, I have picked "woman" as my gender. "Trans" is a historical fact about me, but it's not part of my identity or my gender.

Edit: to clarify, not saying it was malicious or anything! I actually very much appreciate that the admins are taking steps to be inclusive -- I just think the language may need some adjustment for it to be accurate & comfortable for people!

Addendum: also, this site may need a 'meta' category. 😛

Edit 2: Apparently lots of people mistook me for suggesting that the trans options should be removed. I don't think so at all! I just think maybe the language needs to be worked on or the way it's presented, to be most inclusive of people who are insecure about their gender being considered somehow different (i.e., less valid) compared to cisgender people.

• 3 votes
  • 6 votes
alxa 5 Apr 9
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I remember when I signed up that option surprised me. I am cis/gender queer, but to me it makes no difference what parts someone has.

I think if I was dating someone I would like to be told mostly in case of any emotional struggles I need to be aware of. Same as any important history in a person's life. Who you identify as and who yuouve fought to become is important because it helps me understand who you are as a person.

I was sexually abused, and it's not fun thing to talk about, but it does still influence how I behave and how I feel about my body. Especially since I completely repressed being pansexual because I was abused by a woman. I know a lot of people have body issues or have struggled with themselves sexually, so it's good to know, if for no other reason than to avoid emotional triggers. (I do realize not everyone who falls under trans have issues with their body or sexuality, but it seems the majority I've met or heard about have at least some struggle with it.)

SensualAva Level 6 Apr 27, 2018

I have no preference. I'm openly transgender and this seems like a safe enough place to be such.

cvccosplay Level 6 Apr 11, 2018

Gender really falls into the categories of man, woman, non-binary, agender. Individuals sometimes ask for others, but those are the general groups, and there is also an argument for merging the final 2.

A person being trans is a separate thing. I’m a trans woman. This means that when I answer the question, “what is your gender?” my response is unequivocally “woman”. Being asked to respond that I’m something else implies that trans women are not women... that we’re a separate category. This is also implied in the word “transwoman”, which is why it is insulting.

In most scenarios, I simply would not indicate that I am trans. However, since this site was ostensibly about dating, I thought I should indicate my background. While I have a friend who never tells, I want to be open with someone I date, so I’d rather have that out of the way up front.

Since it’s relevant to mention in this case, I’m post op, so it’s feasible for me to keep it quiet. But that wouldn’t work for the kind of relationship I want. Before the op I did not date at all, so I never dealt with that aspect.

miffy Level 5 Apr 10, 2018

I think it has more to do with dating on the site if you're interested in that. From what I've heard transsexual people often run into problems with dates once the other person learns they had transitioned. By selecting trans-woman you would be announcing this ahead of time to filter out anyone who would have a problem with that. At least that's how I see the option. But no matter what you choose to set your profile to won't change who you are. After all, a rose by any other name is still a rose.

Katrik Level 7 Apr 10, 2018

I say let each person choose their own identifiers, you’re gonna do plenty of chatting before you date, Lola is a great song but I prefer not to be surprised🙂 neither yes or no is my answer, my answer is, it’s none of my business.

My intent is not to be defensive, but I’m curious... what surprise are you referring to?

@miffy have you not heard the song Lola by the kinks?

@ArdentAtheist that’s my point. That song was about someone obvious.
No one knows with me, nor with several of my friends. I’m friends with one trans woman who either doesn’t tell her partners at all, or only after many months of sleeping together.
It sounds like your surprise would be based on a deep voice, or discovering that she had a penis, or something like that. Is that right? In which case, what about someone like me? We wouldn’t surprise you in any of those particular ways. The surprise would only occur if you were explicitly told, or somehow ran across the information.

@miffy Thank you for explaining, apologies.

I voted no because even though I am transgender I am also non-binary and don't feel completely female or male. Also, I rather let people know up front what I am, especially if I was going to meet them in person. I do understand your point, that it can be invalidating to some people. It's just not an issue for me personally.

Islandgurl Level 6 Apr 10, 2018

Voted 'no.'

First of all, it's relevant in a dating context. Much as many trans women would like men to see them as cis women, sexually, that isn't going to broadly happen any time soon. There are men who are not bothered by a trans history, but the vast majority still find it a challenge to their masculinity and sexuality. The harsh reality of trans dating is that pre-op, you're fetishised for your penis, and post-op, you have nothing (physically) to offer that a cis woman doesn't, while still carrying that stigma of being perceived as a 'used to be a man.' If not by the individual you're dating, then by their friends, relatives etc.

Secondly, 'trans' is a very broad umbrella. While some are chasing the cis binary opposite sex life experience that fate so cruelly denied them, others of us are quite content doing non-binary/genderqueer/sticking out like a sore thumb and making a statement.

I'm very comfortable being identified as trans. Less comfortable being identified as man or woman. I'm doing my best to unsubscribe from both gender stereotypes. I identify as male, but agender, these days.

The option to identify as trans is very much needed. If you identify as cis, with a trans history, then you're not obliged to use it, but it should remain for those who wish to.

Okay. In that case, why not have a gender axis -- man/woman/transfeminine/transmasculine/nonbinary -- and a history axis trans/cis?

One is identity, the other is simply history.

You seem to assume I am suggesting the removal of the system. I never was. It's better to be able to tell the system you're trans than to not have that option. But there's a significant difference between being trans and identifying as trans.

I'd simply like some way to weed the bigots out, without the implication that my gender is "transwoman" and not "woman".

My preference would be to keep things as they are. It leaves people the option to declare their trans status/history, or simply profile as a man or a woman, as they see fit. If you wish to declare your trans history in your profile or select one of the trans options, then that's entirely up to you.

A direct question, asking you to check a cis, trans or 'not telling' box, is far more invasive. It would expect someone who is living stealth (or simply profiling as a woman on here) to either out themselves or outright lie.

I don't accept that there's any difference between being trans(gender) and identifying as trans(gender.) Since gender is a matter of identity, your sincere sense of who and what you are is the only thing that matters here. No need for gender dysphoria. No need for a desire to transition. Just sufficient time spent mulling the subject over to find out where you fit in. If you declare yourself to be trans, and you are being sincere, then you are trans.

If 'trans' meant 'transsexual', then that would be a different matter. But it doesn't. Though I see plenty of moves afoot to try to appropriate the term to mean 'transsexual' to the exclusion of those who are TG (by the accepted definition) but not TS.

@NicoleCadmium What if 'rather not say' was the DEFAULT option? Edit: or you merged 'cis/rether not say' into one option?

Also, side note, there's a huge difference. There are people in history that identified as, say, trans female but turned out not to be comfortable as female, then detransition -- and turn to be fine with living as cis male. (some of these cases were actual instances of autogynephelia, which I believe is a real thing but very rare...)

There are people who TRY not to be trans, who tell themselves over and over "I have to be male, I'm a male" -- but they can't do it!

So there are people who are trans, but don't accept it (don't IDENTIFY as trans). And there are people who identify, but aren't. Being trans and identifying are two different things. One is hard-wired personality. The other is politics & labels.

Funny how the lines in the sand always land exactly where they suit the people drawing them. I'll clarify what I said earlier: your own sense of your own gender is a matter of identity. Since it's a matter of identity, it's entirely down to how you sincerely identify.

Trans women: How dare you say I'm not a woman! I can really be a woman even though I wasn't born with a vagina.

Also trans women: How dare you consider yourself trans! You can't really be trans unless you have gender dysphoria.

We can either respect each other's sincerely held identities or not. Those who choose not to respect other people's don't get to complain when people choose not to respect theirs. I can accept that there are times when, for the purposes of discussion, it's useful to distinguish between dysphoric and non-dysphoric, but to make that split 'really trans' (born this way) and 'not really trans' (lifestyler/transtrender) as you're doing above, is something I feel deserves to be challenged.

@NicoleCadmium Um... what. I don't get what you're talking about. I'm not drawing any lines here that don't suite nonbinary people, as far as I can see.

As for trans people without gender dysphoria, there may be genuinely something like that. I haven't met anyone like that, but I'm totally fine with accepting their identity.

Seems like you're making a lot of nasty assumptions.

No nasty assumptions at all. You have said that there are people who are trans who don't identify as trans, and people who aren't trans, who do. You've overridden their sincere identity with your own understanding of the word, just as some people do when they won't accept trans women as women, because their definition of 'woman' is 'an adult human who was assigned female at birth.'

That person you're saying is trying so hard to convince themselves they're not trans? If they say they're not trans, they're not trans. Labels generally only become problematic when you start applying them to others in opposition to their sincerely held identities.

It might just be a matter of semantics. I think what you're saying is valid in that there are a multitude of reasons why someone assigned male at birth might want to live in the traditionally female role, either part or full time. But the way you're saying it is problematic. You've made a very clear distinction between 'being' trans and 'identifying as' trans. Since I see sincere identity as the only thing that's relevant, I have to dispute that.

@NicoleCadmium Um... no. There are people out there that stopped considering THEMSELVES trans.

You misunderstood me. And the fact I believe there's a distinction between being trans and identifying as trans doesn't mean I'm going around assuming that people who identify as trans aren't actually trans.

Not as if I'd know better than they know themselves. But I do believe it's possible to be mistaken, at least in theory. Also -- I tried very hard to be cis. it didn't work. This was not a choice for me. I was trans before I ever identified as such. I didn't "become" trans by starting to identify as female. Male identity just wasn't compatible with who I was.

Identifying as trans is a side effect of being trans. If you see it differently, well, we can agree to disagree.

Yup. And those people who stopped considering themselves trans... well they're no longer trans. They've moved on from that label. If that's what works for them, then fair enough.

In all honesty, I have less of a problem with the assertion that there people who are trans who consider themselves not, than I do with the assertion that there are people who are not trans, who consider that they are. But you say precisely both in the last paragraph an earlier post (3rd below my reply to your original.)

It's the argument that transmedicalists (aka 'truscum'😉 use to invalidate trans identities, particularly in people who are genderfluid, genderqueer, bi-gender, or otherwise not showing the degree of commitment (sufficient dysphoria to create a strong impulse to surgically transition) that transmedicalists feel is necessary to qualify as 'trans.' They use this argument to excuse their wilful misgendering of people who aren't up to their standards. It's the good old trans hierarchy in action: "early transition post-op is more trans than late transition post-op is more trans than pre-op is more trans than non-op is more trans than TV is more trans than CD."

While I've come to realise over the last few posts that this isn't what you're trying to do, it wasn't so clear to me earlier in the conversation. But anyway, why can't we just say "Everyone's transgender (in every sense) if they sincerely identify as transgender"? Why does there have to be a distinction between identifying as transgender and being transgender? I can accept it in the case of the word 'transsexual' because sex is tangible. Gender is not, and is purely a matter of identity and the social roles that go with it.

@NicoleCadmium Because there are neurological correlates to identity -- which makes identity an objective question in theory. In practice, we treat it as subjective. But in the far future when it's possible to compare subjective qualia, it will be undeniable that qualia are objective in the sense that they're part of the brain, and the brain has a physical reality that people can observe and agree upon.

As a publicly out trans woman, I personally don't have an issue with it. I want my trans status to be known up front, especially as I initially joined this site for dating purposes. I want to make sure it's not an issue before wasting time. I fully understand your concern, though.

I do have a problem with the use of the specific terms, though. It should be "trans woman," with a space, as trans is an adjective describing the type of woman. "Transwoman" is often used as a derogatory term by exclusionary "feminists." I notified @admin when I first joined the site, and they did fix it in one place, but not in others.

MollyBell Level 7 Apr 9, 2018

Whoops... I didn't realize that "Transwoman" is often used as a derogatory term. I just updated 2 more places where that term is used here to include the space. I personally would like to have more gender identity terms here but opted to let members put it in their profile text than having too many search categories. Perhaps when we have a few million members it will be more useful.

@Admin It's a very tricky subject! I was hoping that by opening this thread everyone with strong opinions would explain their identity and how they feel comfortable.

NicoleCadmium for instance is a case I never expected, as I'm someone who simply identifies as binary (female), whereas they seem to have an identity that doesn't fit within the gender binary.

So having transfeminine/transmasculine/nonbinary options may be good, or perhaps being able to simply type your gender into a box it case it's one of these statistically atypical options. (So that you aren't stuck trying to evaluate whether a specific term is mainstream enough to be worthy of inclusion, over and over again...) Anyone who feel strongly enough thus would have the option to have a custom thing in their gender box.

And I suppose you could have the system filter out gender nonconforming people for those not interested. Anyone who uses the box is implying they're somehow gender nonconforming. So I guess that's a good way of dealing with the needs of the bigots and/or people who are simply looking for easy, typical hookups...

As for how the system should deal with the "trans history & circumstance" factor, maybe the site should have a separate question for whether you're trans/cis? Although honestly I'm only interested in using it so my trans homies can find me. No chasers pls. Perhaps this is better modeled as a question for the profile-building interrogation thingy?

Oooor maybe you could just use the current system but have the system ask the trans/cis and female/male questions separately?

These are just the solutions I've come up with off the top of my head, so they may be kinda stupid. This subject is really complicated! 😛

@alxa If you could have just one more multiple choice question related to gender/orientation, what would it be and what would the options be?

@Admin Well, one approach would be to have two selection bars: one would be gender (e.g. female, male, transmasculine, transfeminnine, nonbinary...)

...and then the other could ask whether you're AFAB (assigned-female-at-birth) or AMAB (assigned-male-at-birth) or just cisgender (in which case, it's assumed you're AFAB if you're female, and you're AMAB if you're male). Of course a "rather not say" option is fine too.

The system can assume anyone who puts in their own gender... or who picks AFAB with a male gender, or AMAB with a female gender -- is gender nonconforming (generally under the umbrella of 'transgender'😉. Then you can do your internal matching logic on that basis!

Since many people don't know what these terms mean, may be a good idea to put a little question mark with hovertext that explains AMAB/AFAB (would be good for educating people interested in learning about trans issues!)

As for gender question, should be fine to simply have the gender one be "female, male, other" -- and may be good for the "other" thing to let you actually enter your preferred gender so it shows up on your profile -- so it covers all the bases. (I noticed Facebook doing this -- and I think it's the best approach I've seen!)

I think this is what I'd pick as a system, after thinking about it a bit more. Let me know if it seems practical or not.

Addendum: Honestly, to me -- just reflecting on it, it seems really like it might be a bit too much logic to implement for a simple undertone issue.

I think you could achieve a similar effect (and less confusing for cisgender people who aren't aware of trans stuff) just by having one category and labeling it "gender & physical sex at birth" "Trans" implies opposite physical sex at birth. "woman" is the actual gender. Simple. 🙂

If that language seems like it might be a bit too confusing to some, let me know! I'm sure I could come up with a few other things!

Addendum 2:
Also, as a side note -- THANK YOU for changing the "transwoman" thing to "trans woman" -- to imply the trans thing is separate from the woman thing. That's a huge improvement (definitely made me more comfortable!) and I really appreciate you putting the effort in to be inclusive! I'm sure everyone does 😀

I don't really have an opinion on this, but my guess is the site creators are just doing their best to be all-inclusive. If you have suggestions to improve on how things are set up provide constructive feedback to the Admin. They are pretty responsive here and want everyone to be happy.

IAMGROOT Level 7 Apr 9, 2018

Oh, definitely! I'm not saying they're doing it to be malicious! I'm actually impressed they thought of trans people at all, since we're such a minority. I just think the wording may need a bit of adjustment for people to be happy. 🙂

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 56

Photos 269 More

Posted by snytiger6Coming out ...

Posted by snytiger6Larissa awakens Christmas morning to find ...

Posted by CliffordCook([iowafaithleadercoalition.

Posted by snytiger6Victoria's Secret model, huh ...

Posted by snytiger6I come in peace ...

Posted by snytiger6You need to find peace with your uniqueness...

Posted by snytiger6The only choice made was to be myself...

Posted by snytiger6The day you graduate from...

Posted by snytiger6Trust me. There is no other man...

Posted by snytiger6The bible belt...

Posted by snytiger6Condiment come out...

Posted by snytiger6I think the pastor is coming out...

Posted by CeaselessmindIt works best when you can take a bigoted letter and throw it right back in their faces! I fuckin love whoever did this!

Posted by snytiger6My artistic idol...

Posted by snytiger6You, religions and the holy book

Posted by inigomontoyaI identify as bigender. Most LGBTQ+ people don’t even know what that is. 😂

• Top tags#gay #video #community #transgender #friends #gender #sex #god #hope #DonaldTrump #religion #LGBT #rights #world #religious #relationship #queer #nation #Christian #marriage #children #kids #money #laws #Atheist #church #parents #hello #reason #book #wife #ComingOut #Identity #dogs #Catholic #Jesus #Bible #films #Song #movies #Police #republicans #atheism #vote #death #society #culture #homosexuality #Christians #mother ...

Members 980Top