Agnostic.com
4 4

American Idol alum David Archuleta publicly comes out as on the lgbtqia+ spectrum. He is also an active and desperate(I mean devout, ehem) Mormon. Deep breath.
[out.com]

I wish him all the best. He is a total sweetheart, a genuinely loving person.
But GOD! (...and I mean that as a swear word) it is deeply frustrating to see over and over how devout religious belief tortures lgbtq+ religious adherents into denying themselves.
David, for example, now age 30, said he is still struggling to understand himself sexually, but that thankfully, his religion has convinced him to "save myself until marriage," ...thereby leading him to many more years of unsettled feelings. Would YOU feel confident marrying someone this unsure of his feelings of sexual desire? The church does not recognize same sex marriage, so this will either be a long wait or some "lucky" girl gets to join the Liza Minnelli marriage club.

Judgmental? I do have a bias. I am a 70/30 gay man who grew up Pentacostal and spent 25 years married to a woman.

Again, I wish him all the best, honestly. I just don't see how he will ever have peace with himself without a God-ectomy.

MikeInBatonRouge 8 June 15
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have totally come out as gay and do not give a rats behind what people think! We are not terrorists nor are we evil people! Religion has screwed many lives up!

He might just be sapiosexual.

Ello Level 6 June 29, 2021

Maybe so. The sad part is that his religion has terrified him out of allowing himself to experience anything enough to sort it all out and be at peace about it. Saving himself for marriage?!? 😖

Aaaaaaaaugh!
David: "when I started feeling numb and empty, I was questioning everything. I was questioning my faith and if God was real."

Keep questioning, Honey!!

I see it as his problem. There's plenty of info and I'm sure he's had a few conversations about his God. He can change his mind anytime. I grew up Lutheran (though by no means devout), Jewish, and with a Mormon older brother. I got baptized into LDS and got out so have very little sympathy for anyone who wastes their time in such craziness.

rainmanjr Level 8 June 15, 2021

Maybe. But by your own description, your socialization was not as all-encompassing as his and many others. If every family member and virtually everyone you grow up with is an outwardly obedient member of this micromanaging church, and if you also see all that as your core source for family and loving relationships, it is much more of an act of courage to up and leave all that. Knowing your friends might even feel compelked to shun you to remain in good standing with the church if you are excommunicated. I am reminded of what the lead singer of Neon Trees went through when he decided he needed to reject the church's command that he remain celibate. His successful Mormon band promptly broke up.

@MikeInBatonRouge All very true. Possibly I came down too hard on a 30 year old that deeply indoctrinated. Thank you for reminding me. I had to reread the post to remember what my comment was about and think I must have been baked.

@rainmanjr It is easy to jest feel tired of all the religious nonsense and react by saying "screw 'em all.!" I have to remind myself that my beef is with the mean-spirited people trying to oppress others, not the genuinely kind ones who are just duped and are themselves victimized by it.

@MikeInBatonRouge To a degree, that I understand and relate.
(To your first reply.)
To your second reply.
Very true.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 12

Photos 269 More

Posted by snytiger6Coming out ...

Posted by snytiger6Larissa awakens Christmas morning to find ...

Posted by CliffordCook([iowafaithleadercoalition.

Posted by snytiger6Victoria's Secret model, huh ...

Posted by snytiger6I come in peace ...

Posted by snytiger6You need to find peace with your uniqueness...

Posted by snytiger6The only choice made was to be myself...

Posted by snytiger6The day you graduate from...

Posted by snytiger6Trust me. There is no other man...

Posted by snytiger6The bible belt...

Posted by snytiger6Condiment come out...

Posted by snytiger6I think the pastor is coming out...

Posted by CeaselessmindIt works best when you can take a bigoted letter and throw it right back in their faces! I fuckin love whoever did this!

Posted by snytiger6My artistic idol...

Posted by snytiger6You, religions and the holy book

Posted by inigomontoyaI identify as bigender. Most LGBTQ+ people don’t even know what that is. 😂

• Top tags#gay #video #community #transgender #friends #gender #sex #god #hope #DonaldTrump #religion #LGBT #rights #world #religious #relationship #queer #nation #Christian #marriage #children #kids #money #laws #Atheist #church #parents #hello #reason #book #wife #ComingOut #Identity #dogs #Catholic #Jesus #Bible #films #Song #movies #Police #republicans #atheism #vote #death #society #culture #homosexuality #Christians #mother ...

Members 980Top