Agnostic.com
6 9

LINK Man Left Bloodied, Bones Fractured After Random Homophobic Attack

A gay man in Fort Lauderdale suffered multiple facial injuries after he was punched by a stranger who first asked if he was gay.

James Garcia said he was walking his dog, Delilah, outside his condominium on the morning of Sunday, April 17, when he was attacked, suffering two facial fractures and multiple wounds requiring 10 stitches to close. Police later arrested Maurice Antwan Charles, 36, in connection with the attack.

“When I close my eyes I see this attacker every day,” Garcia told WPLG. “I hear his voice. I see his face.”

Garcia said he left his condominium on A1A near 27th Street around 7:45 a.m. when he heard screaming nearby. A few moments he said the man he later identified as Charles approached him.

“Never seen the person in my life. Don’t know who he is,” Garcia said, becoming emotional. “When he approached me, [he] asked me if I was gay, and then he punched me.”

snytiger6 9 Apr 21
Share
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

1

I will never understand how people can be so utterly filled with hatred and rage that they feel compelled to physically attack complete strangers simply based on that person's sexual orientation. It must be mental illness coupled with conservative values.

1

Maurice Antwan Charles needs be sectioned for society's safety.

anglophone Level 9 Apr 21, 2022
2

Infuriating, disheartening, and scary. Note the end of the article: "It is unclear if Broward County prosecutors will add an additional hate crime charge to the current aggravated battery charge facing Charles."
Unclear if a hate crime will be charged?!? This is why I utterly mistrust the legal system. Yes, they do sometimes get it right, but there is little to no consistency, which totally undermines any hope of feeling secure or protected.

2

That's sad to hear with homo phobes running the state. It's only going to get worse.

freedom41 Level 9 Apr 21, 2022
3

Glad the cops got the guy. Since the evil bastard asked about being gay, this should, without a doubt be a hate crime. Not a for sure thing for a Florida DA to prosecute however.

3

What a disgusting, pathetic excuse for a human being.

Write Comment