Agnostic.com
1 5

Our state and it’s governor are determined to reign in gun violence. I receive regular updates on what’s going on in this state and thought I’d pass this on. [medium.com]

To end gun violence, build on what works
Washington’s public health approach to confronting America’s epidemic of gun violence is saving lives

”America’s ongoing epidemic of gun violence has in recent years spurred “a sea-change in Washington’s gun laws,” as The Seattle Times wrote in a 2022 editorial. Washington’s voters led the way by passing I-1639 in 2018, the most comprehensive gun control legislation in state history. At one fell swoop, Washington became one of the top 10 states in terms of gun responsibility laws, according to the Giffords Law Center. In the years since then, Washington has enacted more policies to prevent gun violence, including bans on bump stocks and high capacity magazines, tools that essentially turn a semiautomatic weapon into a machine gun. Washington’s strategy, though, extends beyond prohibiting the gun-modification devices mass shooters and criminals have used to devastating effect.

”Over the last five years, Gov. Jay Inslee’s administration has borrowed from the field of public health to implement a new, ongoing approach to prevent gun violence in Washington. This new framework encourages data-sharing across city and county lines, along with a more nuanced process of analyzing data sets to tailor violence prevention and intervention strategies to specific cities and communities. To facilitate this work, the Legislature approved the creation of a new Office of Firearm Safety and Violence Prevention that opened in 2021.”

”“You can’t fix what you don’t measure.” says Kate Kelly, the office’s executive director. “Robust data can help identify alternatives to more traditional responses to firearm violence, identifying which strategies should be implemented and invested in.””
”The statistics broadly show that Washington’s work to counteract the epidemic of gun violence has been effective. From 2018 to 2021, while the number of deaths by firearm nationwide increased substantially, rates in Washington did not mirror that trend. Firearm deaths in Washington remain well below national averages. Even so, gun violence continues to claim the lives of Washingtonians every day, which is why Inslee, Attorney General Bob Ferguson, and legislators are proposing additional firearm safety measures for this year’s legislative session.”

jackjr 7 Mar 5
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As long as Democratic AGs and the Democratic Party by and large seek to go soft on violent or even potentially violent offenders, I don't for one moment honestly believe any of them are truly serious about putting an end to such violence. Actions speak louder than words, and it makes no bit of rational sense to enact even more redundant gun control laws while simultaneously drastically reducing the prison sentences of violent offenders, that of whom would once again be free to roam the streets and bring harm to others.

Prior to 1986 when then President Reagan made fully automatic guns illegal to own, there were many such weapons in the hands of many private citizens, a number of whom undoubtedly owned high-capacity magazines. Yet, prior to the last decades now or so mass shooting incidents were incredibly rare. So my question to you people is, how do you account for all of that? Back in a time when there were far less gun control laws on the books mass shootings were a rarity, and yet as time went by and more gun control laws were dreamed up and enacted all across the country all of a sudden we see an increase in random shootings. I really would like to hear how you people rationalize all of that, and am I really the only one here who realizes these gun control laws along with all of these "gun-free zones" are what's continuing to get people killed, and that the guns and related accessories are not the real problem?

I live in Pennsylvania, Allentown to be precise, and while we do tend to be a blue state our laws regarding private gun ownership are fairly lax compared to neighboring states like say, New York. Well, lax laws in the state excepting for the city of Philadelphia, which the laws are so strict there that you can't even order a slingshot online and have it delivered anywhere in the city. Regardless of their strict laws, that place remains a persistent haven for violent offenders and random shooting sprees. In contrast, my home city of Allentown, while far more lax on the laws and still dealing with a decent share of crime, still does not see the level of violence that Philadelphia sees. Now... can you rationally explain to me how a city like Philadelphia in which it's already not easy to legally acquire a gun still can see so much violence and crime, if their laws actually worked as they like to claim? Hint hint, that's because the guns aren't the damned problem, the citizens living there are the problem, those who most likely didn't receive a proper basic education and who joined violent gangs promising them the world. That, along with an increasing number of people living in that city who suffer from some sort of mental illness.

Also, it's worth pointing out that "progressive left paradises" such as Seattle Los Angeles and Portland Oregon have and continue to see sharp increases in violent crime despite the fact they are all known gun control areas. Here are a few good reads on that-
[kgw.com]

[kpcc.org]

[seattletimes.com]

You people are dictated to by your unbridled emotions, and not your brain as it should be, and focus too much on trivial crap instead of focusing your efforts where it's really needed, namely addressing the problem with repeat violent offenders and mental illness. Then again, suppose I should consider the source, consider the mentality of those who I'm talking to here. People who listen to a senile vegetable's rantings about how those high-capacity magazines are such a threat to everyone while laughing and making fun of a moron with a fake man tan. Both are idiots, and both are deceiving the public. I have a good suggestion for a progressive fascist such as yourself, why don't you pickup your arse and move to one of those fine "paradises" like Portland or Seattle, and stop fixating on what us law abiding gun owners possess, as no fixation like that could possibly be good for one's mental health. We gun owners and the guns & accessories we own aren't the problem, and we certainly aren't your adversary (don't wish to be anyways), the criminal element along with failed progressive policies are the problem you should be focusing your attention on. Don't worry about what people like me own, we aren't the ones going around harassing and harming innocent bystanders. If I'm not dealing with the anti-abortion fascists, then it's the gun control fascists who want to dictate to me what I can and cannot own or do based on their overcharged emotions and lack of critical independent thinking on the matter. Small wonder why our society is so screwed-up, fascist clowns to the left of me and joker fascists to the right...

SpikeTalon Level 9 Mar 12, 2023

Recent Visitors 15

Photos 507 More

Posted by ButtercupI doubt she said it buts it's cute.

Posted by Smurfing101

Posted by DruviusAh yes, modern America.

Posted by Tejas

Posted by SwitchcraftSandy Hook 13th sad anniversary - 12/14/12

Posted by SwitchcraftSandy Hook 13th sad anniversary - 12/14/12

Posted by MoravianSad but true.

Posted by DruviusAlways loved this one.

Posted by TejasAnti trump pistol. Do you have mixed feelings about it?

Posted by TejasLook at this scary gun!

Posted by Tejas

Posted by SeaGreenEyezThe most unaware "Awareness Day" in America was yesterday.

Posted by SeaGreenEyezThe most unaware "Awareness Day" in America was yesterday.

• Top tags#guns #NRA #video #laws #violence #guncontrol #massshooting #god #DonaldTrump #Police #world #children #religion #reason #Texas #hell #religious #friends #republicans #rights #death #vote #kids #Atheist #hope #USA #society #teachers #church #truth #florida #government #fear #money #belief #atheism #conservative #sex #parents #Christian #agnostic #earth #community #schools #culture #evidence #youtube #Christians #wife #murder ...

Members 918Top