Agnostic.com
6 9

LINK Brewing beer may be an older craft than we realized in some places | Science News

"Grain cell changes from malting help identify which ancient populations crafted local brews ... Microscopic signatures of malting could help reveal which prehistoric people had a taste for beer ... [ Researchers have found ] residues from 5,000- to 6,000-year-old containers at two Egyptian breweries ... [ and also have found ] grain-based remains from similarly aged settlements in Germany and in Switzerland."

AnonySchmoose 8 May 7
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Awesome info I love it

A professor at Penn State, I believe, quite some years ago, while pioneering the study of ancient chemical residues in archeological finds, discovered some 9,000 year old remains of beer. He and the owner of "Dogfish Head" beer, in Delaware, have done joint research and Dogfish used to, on occasion, put out a brew based on the results.

BirdMan1 Level 8 May 8, 2020

Wherever those finds are, they are three to four thousand years older than the other old discoveries. How does the 9,000 year old beer taste?

The laborers conscripted to build Egypt's pyramids were issued "free" beer, made from stale bread and honey.

davknight Level 8 May 8, 2020

I imagine it helped to keep them hydrated during work, and the honey would give energy.

Of course it's beer

bobwjr Level 10 May 7, 2020

Mmmm beer..!

Charlene Level 9 May 7, 2020

Last Saturday afternoon, I was given a Pilsner Urquell, which is a pale Czech lager invented in 1842. I normally prefer dark beer, but that had pleasant flavor. My cat Uli liked the scent of it too.

@AnonySchmoose it is really a great lager..tasty..and awesome after a day on the beach!

@Charlene
I still prefer the intense flavor of dark beer, however.

@AnonySchmoose How so you feel about Guiness? It's very strong (and in Britain served warm).

@JackPedigo
I would probably like Guinness Draught and Extra Stout, although I read that their alcohol content was weakened for the North American market. Another interesting fact is that they are imbued with nitrogen bubbles instead of carbon dioxide, which make the froth much creamier.

When I'm out for a meal, I like to try stout beers. Probably have tried some of the stouts on this website. [beeradvocate.com]. I would try something like Tall, Dark, & Mandarin. "Brewed with cacao nibs, chocolate, locally grown mandarin oranges and aloha, this sensual Imperial Stout has many layers of complex flavors and a semidry finish. The chocolate & oranges add icing to the cake of mocha-like maltiness... A creamy, cold, yet warming, dessert in a glass."

@AnonySchmoose mmmm Guinesss..

@AnonySchmoose that sounds like a good one.

@Remowill
It's fun to try innovative flavored beers such as with chocolate, chili pepper, or bacon nuances.

@AnonySchmoose Wow, a really long list. I once got a home brew kit and made my own beer. It was really dark and strong so I ended up mixing it with lager. This was in Germany and there beer was cheaper than pop and I had a large bar in my apartment. I had so much beer eventually my body said enough. Now I can drink hefe's and sorghum based beers with no problems but my tastes have gone to ciders.
Like you mentioned, in England having a good head is important. In Germany this is frowned upon and the beer is poured slowly along the inside of the glass to keep the foal down. Who wants to pay for air?

One person in my family has brewed various beers for a long time. It sounds a little delicate to watch the process carefully to get the brew to mature ( correct word ? ) well. Here my experience of beer also has taken on a sports affiliation i.e. canoe paddling. It's tradition to socialize, drink beer, and share pupus after a long practice in the afternoon.

@AnonySchmoose Me too! Porter, for that matter!

@AnonySchmoose Stout is marvelous. Genessee Brewery, in upstate New York, used to make a "Chocolate Caramel Salt Ale" I believe it was called, that was like drinking chocolate silk! Now, I'm salivating, here.

@AnonySchmoose chili peppers really sound good.

@AnonySchmoose "Corona Dark," despite its current reputation(LOL), is a delight.

Beer was a part of the staple diet in Ancient Egypt since at least the time of the earliest Kings.
I've actually had a taste of that beer made using the ancient Egyptian recipes, it is a taste that one needs to get used to, but, none-the-less, it is quite refreshing and nutritious as well.

Triphid Level 9 May 7, 2020

BTW, the terminology of 'Pharaoh' in Ancient Egyptian does NOT mean the Ruler as we have been led to think/believe, it actually means, literally, " the Great House where the King dwells."

I wish you would describe the taste of ancient Egyptian beer, and why it takes getting used to.

@AnonySchmoose Kind of hard to describe but I will try.
Firstly, it is nowhere near like our modern beer, it is more of a colour similar to milk, not clear, not dark either, more a watered down milky colour, the taste is somewhat like modern beer but heavier, more a malted/fermented flavour that still holds the slight taste/flavour of the grain used in the making of it.
No effervescence or 'head' as we see on modern beers/ales, etc, none of that 'bloated' sensation you get after drinking modern beers either, but you do get the feeling of having a fullish, satisfied stomach after drinking it, though I will admit that we actualy drank approx. 8 litres between the 4 of us when we were 'tasting it.'
According to the Archaeology Technicians who made it the recipe calls for the addition of bread as well as grain and fresh water to the mix and must be left to ferment in sealed clay pots, big ones, for at least 2-3 weeks.
If I had the gear, grain, etc, I would try making it myself since it needs no yeast added nor any extra heating, etc, to kick start the frementation, just the clay pots and the warmth from the surrounding atmosphere.

@Triphid
Thanks for the description. That ancient process with clay jars, bread and grain is fascinating. How earthy. Sounds like a good-for-health type of beer.

@Triphid
For some reason people seem to have forgotten that no beers had any head or effervescence, until Albert Einstein began his pioneering physics works in the beer garden next to the patent office where he worked. After months and kegs, Einstein finally discovered its underlying physical structure and in an experiment which was the true beginning of the large hadron supercollider - Einstein was able to split the beer atom and fundamentally change the nature of the wonderful brew we enjoy today!

@AnonySchmoose Yeah and it wasn't a bad drink at all btw.

, @Haemish1 WTF, Einstein "split the Beer atom?"
You've got to be pulling my leg.
The Effervesnce in "Draught" Beers is caused by 2 things, a( the carbon dioxide released during the frementation process, and, 2) the addition of pressuiised Carbon Dioxide gas as it tapped from the keg or bottle/can, etc, NOT by the " Einstein Process of Split the Beer Atom, since splitting an ATOM causes a Chain Reaction to occur as each atom sheds particles and those particles hit other atoms and so on and so forth,.
That Sir, in simple terms IS how an Atomic Bomb explodes, i.e. a small charge is detonated to move 1 pice of Nuclear material into close contact with another piece of Nuclear material thus starting the Chain Reaction which the becomes Nuclear Fision.

@Triphid
Indeed sir - due to its lower position on the beeriodic table, the unique structure of the beer atom (even IPA’s) lacks the necessary valence electrons to make the quantum hops needed to sustain a nuclear reaction.
Einstein’s notes and equations show that he was aware of the potential risk - fortunately his desire for a a frosty, cold one with a thick, foamy head overcame his fear of the unknown and gave us the wonderful elixir we enjoy today!
😉

@Haemish1 Sir, please forgive IF I sound derisive, dismissive, insulting ,etc, etc, here BUT, were you born so obtuse or has it taken many years of practice for you to reach this level of absolute obtuseness?
Let me TRY my hardest and the simplest terms I can manage to explain to you WHY your assertion is 100% wrong and so far up the creek you've reached the point of No Return.

1. BEER, IS a combination of numerous molecules, NOT separate atoms, it contains numerous chemical elements drawn from the grains, etc, used to brew it,
  2. BEER is what is known as a MELANGE of chemicals, etc, in a liquid form, i.e. a Chemical Ester,
  3. Beer contains molecules of hydrogen and oxygen combined together as water, molecules of Carbon, Hydrogen, Oxygen, etc, etc, combined together to form Hydrocarbon chains, molecules, that form the Alocohol content of the Beer, and last, but by no means least,
  4. Albert Einstein did NOT split any atom/s during his whole life time, he merely theorised and proposed that it was possible to " split the Uranium atom and thus cause Nuclear Fision to occur," hence came for the Manhattan Project and the development, sadly, of the A-Bombs which destroyed Nagasaki and Hiroshima in 1945.

@Triphid
Gosh - I thought Australians had a sense of humor.
Thank you for correcting me😊

@Haemish1 We Aussies do have a sense of humour,though somewhat vastly different what ever so many 'Seppos' seem to think is humour/humourous, and a very good one I might add but we do NOT suffer fools readily nor do see humour in ridiculous comments either.
So please feel free to try again only this time try to ACTUALLY be funny.

@Triphid
Since you’ve digressed to fecal humor - pull the stick from your arse, and we’ll give it a try.

@Haemish1 I have not '[digreesed at all and in any way what-so-ever, thank you.

@Triphid
Digreesed?
Perhaps you should consult your countryman, Yahoo Serious?

@Haemish1 A very unintentional typo I'm afraid.

@Haemish1 "Split the atom?" Do you mean that in a figurative sense?

@Triphid IN "A History of the World In six Glasses," Thomas Standage reports that beer is, essentially, liquid bread. Think about that for a bit...over a nice cold one.

@Triphid come on! the man is telling you that it was meant as a joke. Okay, put in not a particularly jocular fashion, I'll give you that.

@BirdMan1 Yep almost nothing beats a cold beer on a bloody hot day, that's one reason why I make my Aussie Beer flavoured Damper ( a kind of bread baked in hot coals).
Then I get the beer and the bread all at the same time.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 30

Photos 292 More

Posted by JoeBKite-like structures in the western Sahara Desert.

Posted by TriphidAn Aussie Indigenous Message Stick.

Posted by TriphidIndigenous Australian Aboriginal Rock art dated somewhere between 20 and 30 thousand years old.

Posted by TriphidIndigenous Australian Aboriginal Rock art dated somewhere between 20 and 30 thousand years old.

Posted by JoeBDortoka vremiri: A new species of Dortokid Turtle from the Late Cretaceous of the Hațeg Basin, Romania.

Posted by JoeBThe Cabeço da Amoreira burial: An Early Modern Era West African buried in a Mesolithic shell midden in Portugal.

Posted by JoeBMusivavis amabilis: A new species of Enantiornithine Bird from the Early Cretaceous Jehol Biota of northeastern China.

Posted by JoeBTorosaurus in Canada.

Posted by JoeBStone tools from the Borselan Rock Shelter, in the Binalud Mountains of northeastern Iran.

Posted by JoeBDating the Lantian Biota.

Posted by JoeBBashanosaurus primitivus: A new species of Stegosaur from the Middle Jurassic of Chongqing Municipality, China.

Posted by JoeBDetermining the time of year when the Chicxulub Impactor fell.

Posted by JoeBSão Tomé and Príncipe: Possibly the last country on Earth never to have been visited by a working archaeologist.

Posted by JoeBMambawakale ruhuhu: A new species of Pseudosuchian Archosaur from the Middle Triassic Manda Beds of Tanzania.

• Top tags#ancient #species #evidence #dinosaurs #world #animals #evolution #China #video #Australia #discovery #humans #Present #ancestors #god #Europe #university #extinction #evolutionary #relationship #birds #hope #reason #DNA #climate #earth #religious #kids #museum #book #cultural #evolved #origins #USA #friends #fish #burial #death #Antarctica #laws #genetic #Organic #mother #community #religion #Atheist #dogs #novels #Christian #truth ...

Members 661Top