Agnostic.com
3 4

I've always enjoyed history, archaeology, and anthropology. I had the greatest treat when I started a subscription to Archaeology magazine last year. Love reading through the entire magazine. I even use it in my classes for my students to learn more about our world and our past. I'm getting ready to renew my subscription.
Does anyone else subscribe to the magazine?

MissingLink16 7 May 14
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It is a fun magazine!

Hathacat Level 9 May 15, 2020

What class do you teach. I'm very familar with the magazine as I'm a recovering archaeologist. (Lol). I was an archaeologist in the 1970'-80s before I became a science teacher.

t1nick Level 8 May 14, 2020

Right now I teach middle school world history (starting from prehistory and going through the medieval time period). I've taught high school history (World History 1 & 2, U.S. History, and AP US History), and I've taught elementary history (US History and Alabama History).

A funny thing t1Nick, when I was in high school we would have to fill out some papers for classes we wanted to take. There was a part of the paper that asked what job we'd like to have when we grew up. I remember there were primary and secondary choices. Depended on the year as to what I put down. One year my first choice would be archaeology and second choice would be anthropology. The next year it would be reversed. It was always those two jobs I would put down.

@Lincoln16
I can see where Archaeology Mag. could be both interesting and valuable with those content areas. Teach On.

At one school where I taught, I had a parent excavate me a pit about 30 ft so and 3 feet deep. In the bottom we mixed mud and made short walls of cobbles. We then bought some KFC and bar-bqued some ribs, and corn on the cob. Ate them and tossed the bones and the cobs into the pit. Then when students were away for the evening I put in broken pieces of planter pots, some beads and some charcoal.

The parent and I re-buried the pit and let it sit for two quarters. That Spring I taught the students how to properly excavate a site, collect data and artifacts,and accurately map them.

@t1nick THAT IS GREAT!!! I love that idea. In fact, I might have to steal that one!
One year I had my high school classes mummify cornish game hens. It would have worked really well if we weren't living in a very humid southern Alabama. Took months to get some mummification on some of the hens. Man, my room stank for months. I double and triple bagged them to cut down on the smell. A lot of air fresheners. But in the end, they saw what a mummified person could look like after the process was complete.

@Lincoln16

In the fifth grade we were asked to write two science papers about any topic in science. I wrote one paper on archaeology and the second on paleontology. Of coarse they were mostly copied directly out of the encyclopedia. My teacher asked if I understood what I wrote and I told her "yes".

In 1975 I became an archaeologist and worked in the field for eight years. During that time I was hired by the Smithsonisn to be part of a late Pleistocene paleontological excavation. I got an undergraduate degrees in both archaeology and one in geology (emphasis paleontology) between 1972 to 1986.

It's funny and ironic how life works out. I teach a college geology class presently.

@Lincoln16

I've done things similar. Not that one though. Lol

@t1nick That is excellent. I've always had a love for history and knew one day I'd be a history teacher. Spent almost ten years in the military and another few years to get my degree. Taught my first high school history class in 2001. Almost twenty years after graduating from high school. But I got there. Truth be told, I actually prefer the middle school classes. I loved elementary, but it takes a lot out of you. They're your little babies and you are with them all day and you are always looking out for them. In middle school there is a little more independence, plus they have other teachers and that takes a bit of a burden off of you.

@Lincoln16

I taught Middle School on a couple of occasions. I limped through, but wasnt good at it. I'm too content heavy and dependent. I'm happy at high school and college. Lol. Began teaching in 1988 and began my career on a Native American reservation and will most likely end my career on the reservation.

I get Discover and Smithsonian. I wish I had more time on my hands for more...

I also get the Smithsonian. I like it, but not as much as the Archaeology magazine.

Recent Visitors 27

Photos 292 More

Posted by JoeBKite-like structures in the western Sahara Desert.

Posted by TriphidAn Aussie Indigenous Message Stick.

Posted by TriphidIndigenous Australian Aboriginal Rock art dated somewhere between 20 and 30 thousand years old.

Posted by TriphidIndigenous Australian Aboriginal Rock art dated somewhere between 20 and 30 thousand years old.

Posted by JoeBDortoka vremiri: A new species of Dortokid Turtle from the Late Cretaceous of the Hațeg Basin, Romania.

Posted by JoeBThe Cabeço da Amoreira burial: An Early Modern Era West African buried in a Mesolithic shell midden in Portugal.

Posted by JoeBMusivavis amabilis: A new species of Enantiornithine Bird from the Early Cretaceous Jehol Biota of northeastern China.

Posted by JoeBTorosaurus in Canada.

Posted by JoeBStone tools from the Borselan Rock Shelter, in the Binalud Mountains of northeastern Iran.

Posted by JoeBDating the Lantian Biota.

Posted by JoeBBashanosaurus primitivus: A new species of Stegosaur from the Middle Jurassic of Chongqing Municipality, China.

Posted by JoeBDetermining the time of year when the Chicxulub Impactor fell.

Posted by JoeBSão Tomé and Príncipe: Possibly the last country on Earth never to have been visited by a working archaeologist.

Posted by JoeBMambawakale ruhuhu: A new species of Pseudosuchian Archosaur from the Middle Triassic Manda Beds of Tanzania.

• Top tags#ancient #species #evidence #dinosaurs #world #animals #evolution #China #video #Australia #discovery #humans #Present #ancestors #god #Europe #university #extinction #evolutionary #relationship #birds #hope #reason #DNA #climate #earth #religious #kids #museum #book #cultural #evolved #origins #USA #friends #fish #burial #death #Antarctica #laws #genetic #Organic #mother #community #religion #Atheist #dogs #novels #Christian #truth ...

Members 662Top