Agnostic.com
3 2

[nytimes.com]

"Tales of African-American History Found in DNA."

"The history of African-Americans has been shaped in part by two great journeys.

The first brought hundreds of thousands of Africans to the southern United States as slaves. The second, the Great Migration, began around 1910 and sent six million African-Americans from the South to New York, Chicago and other cities across the country ... The scientists concluded that most of the mingling between Africans and Native Americans took place soon after the first slaves arrived in the American colonies in the early 1600s. The European DNA in African-Americans, on the other hand, occurs in slightly longer chunks, indicating a more recent origin."

Who can guess why European Americans who live in the South now are more closely related to African-Americans in the North or West than to present-day African-Americans in the South?

AnonySchmoose 8 Jan 17
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The most important history for you to know is your own family history.

I wish really I knew more about my father's family history, but he died before lots of DNA and ancestry-type websites existed. About the furthest back in history I know is that his parents came from Brest in Brittany and from Marseille.

After exploring my family history over the past couple of years, I developed a belief that everyone should know the truth of their DNA connections. Always having been the darkest of my sisters, and frequently questioned as the 'little Indian" when young, I now know that my mother's lineage does contain Shawnee, and my father's "Bulgarian" father was from dark Greek & MidEastern/Indian sourcing. No more imaginings for me!

Which resource did you access to research your DNA and ethnicity? I know about two hundred years of maternal history, and two generations paternal European ethnicity. And I got the very basic DNA analysis by National Geographic Genographic Project 1.0 (no paternal DNA submitted - only mitochondrial). The new information (that I didn't already know) is that my haplogroup is H.

@AnonySchmoose I used Ancestry, and have lineage back to the 12th century! Their pricing varies, usually about $70, with occasional sale offers.

@tinkercreek Wow, that is a reasonable price, and a long history of many centuries! Maybe I will try that next. I crave details.

@AnonySchmoose Go for it~ and reminds me, I need to look for a total # of relatives on my family tree there, in the 100's. They also match you up by DNA if you want!

The only race gene in every human on earth is black.
Tell that to the KKK, and they won't believe you.

Recent Visitors 13

Photos 292 More

Posted by JoeBKite-like structures in the western Sahara Desert.

Posted by TriphidAn Aussie Indigenous Message Stick.

Posted by TriphidIndigenous Australian Aboriginal Rock art dated somewhere between 20 and 30 thousand years old.

Posted by TriphidIndigenous Australian Aboriginal Rock art dated somewhere between 20 and 30 thousand years old.

Posted by JoeBDortoka vremiri: A new species of Dortokid Turtle from the Late Cretaceous of the Hațeg Basin, Romania.

Posted by JoeBThe Cabeço da Amoreira burial: An Early Modern Era West African buried in a Mesolithic shell midden in Portugal.

Posted by JoeBMusivavis amabilis: A new species of Enantiornithine Bird from the Early Cretaceous Jehol Biota of northeastern China.

Posted by JoeBTorosaurus in Canada.

Posted by JoeBStone tools from the Borselan Rock Shelter, in the Binalud Mountains of northeastern Iran.

Posted by JoeBDating the Lantian Biota.

Posted by JoeBBashanosaurus primitivus: A new species of Stegosaur from the Middle Jurassic of Chongqing Municipality, China.

Posted by JoeBDetermining the time of year when the Chicxulub Impactor fell.

Posted by JoeBSão Tomé and Príncipe: Possibly the last country on Earth never to have been visited by a working archaeologist.

Posted by JoeBMambawakale ruhuhu: A new species of Pseudosuchian Archosaur from the Middle Triassic Manda Beds of Tanzania.

• Top tags#ancient #species #evidence #dinosaurs #world #animals #evolution #China #video #Australia #discovery #humans #Present #ancestors #god #Europe #university #extinction #evolutionary #relationship #birds #hope #reason #DNA #climate #earth #religious #kids #museum #book #cultural #evolved #origins #USA #friends #fish #burial #death #Antarctica #laws #genetic #Organic #mother #community #religion #Atheist #dogs #novels #Christian #truth ...

Members 661Top